Saturday, September 6, 2008

An Abundance of Peaches

My neighbors love me this year. I am building good karma by giving them dozens and dozens of peaches. In contrast to the rest of my garden, which hasn't exactly been a cornucopia this year, our peach tree is laden with fruit and drops at least a dozen peaches a day. So, I give them away, eat them fresh with every meal, and still look for new ways to enjoy peaches.

Trolling the internet for recipes, I came across this one for a peach cake - and now I can't recall where I found it! Senior Moment - sorry! If this looks like your recipe, please let me know and I'll credit you with copious apologies.

Anyway, it's basically a single-layer, very buttery spice cake baked with fresh sugared peach slices on top. As it bakes, the peaches soften and the cake batter rises to surround them. The recipe calls for a springform cake pan but I couldn't find mine so I made it in this fluted pan with the removable bottom and the batter was thick enough that it didn't leak through.

The recipe called for walnuts in the batter, too, but I forgot to add them so I sprinkled some on top instead to crisp as the cake baked and I did like the interplay of the lightly crunchy nuts and the soft peach cake.

Because my peaches are not all that sweet, I sprinkled the top lightly with maple sugar instead of the powdered sugar the recipe recommended and that was a home run - really a nice flavor complement to the fruit.

Next time I go out into my neighborhood giving away peaches, I hope I can find the recipe and include that with the peaches, too!

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Kitt said...

Yum! I really must plant a peach tree.

Made your veggie bundles last night. Big hit!

Saturday, September 06, 2008  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I think peaches are the best fruit in the world. Better than strawberries; better than pears!
That is gorgeous.

Saturday, September 06, 2008  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

One peach! We had one peach this year... And one walnut!
But, I discovered a walnut tree at our future (I hate to say new as parts of it are well over 500 years old - I think) house that is full... and a pomegranat tree (shrub?) with ONE on it... I'm so excited...

Saturday, September 06, 2008  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

This looks so good that I want to eat it off the screen. Hooray for peaches, so ripe and so sweet!

Saturday, September 06, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kitt, so glad the veggie bundles were fun for you! Yes to a peach tree!

Cookiecrumb, I'm more of a pear and nectarine fan but I'm enjoying the peaches, too.

KatieZ, pomegranate, wow! That seems so Greek - is your new place further south?

Nancy, yes, I feel like giving cheers each day, too!

Sunday, September 07, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home