Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Solar Energy At Its Best

Like Alberto Gonzalez, I sometimes have trouble recalling. For instance, I can't remember where or when I learned the minor miracle that water, tea bags and sunlight can perform, turning plain water into a lovely, refreshing glass of iced tea. I know my mother made sun tea, so perhaps I learned it as a child.

Whenever I discovered it, I have continued to take advantage of sunny days ever since. Another in the small ways we can let the sun do wonders for us, sun tea is delicious with mint, or lemon and not one speck of coal or particle of nuclear energy was used to create this pitcher of tea.

In case you've never tried it, all you do is immerse four or so teabags in a big pitcher of water, set it in the sun and let it get as dark as you like your tea. Mixed half and half with lemonade, we love an "Arnold Palmer." Served plain or sugared to your liking, it's one of nature's little bonuses. Now that's an easy recipe to recall, isn't it, Mr. G?

9 Comments:

Blogger Dagny said...

Mmmmm. Sun tea. Haven't had any since my great aunt passed away. My grandma always put a sprig of mint in each glass. Me? I like to mix it with limeade.

Tuesday, October 02, 2007  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I gotta do that. I think I'm all "green," and I still haven't done it. Neato, to speak a mid-century accolade.

Tuesday, October 02, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Dagny, oooh, interesting twist on the "Arnold Palmer" - would you call that the "Tiger Woods?"

Cookiecrumb, I like "neato," too - it says it all!

Tuesday, October 02, 2007  
Blogger Buzz Baylis said...

Sun tea and Paul Newman's lemonade is fave of mine! However the limeade has a great ring to it!

Tuesday, October 02, 2007  
Blogger Dagny said...

I hadn't thought of a name but that works. I became hooked on the combination about a year ago when I was out of lemonade but had limeade on hand. Now it's limeade all the time.

Wednesday, October 03, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love sun tea as well. I made it from green tea almost every day in the summer when I lived in Texas. When I moved to upstate New York, I learned that sun tea made here could cause food poisoning. My tea would have stuff floating in it that looked like tea dust, it turned out to be bacteria. So, just be careful that your tea does not sit out too long.

Wednesday, October 03, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kittytales, thanks for the warning about leaving it too long. Here in California, mine got dark in just a few hours so I'm sure there wasn't time for bacteria to grow! We have such strong sun here - I used to live in Rochester, NY so I know the sun you are living with! :-)

Wednesday, October 03, 2007  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Sun tea, what a wonderful idea. Thanks.

Friday, October 05, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

DMM, let me know how it turns out for you! :-)

Saturday, October 06, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home