Monday, September 24, 2007

Castellita Wins Again

Because I'm a morning person who eats lunch late, when 1:30 rolls around, I'm good and hungry from a productive morning's work as a wage slave at one of California's finest educational institutions.
Then, the race to lunch begins.

Snatching up my purse, I hurtle down the staircase, waving to the security guard as I race out the door. Leaping over the prostrate body of our resident sweetly snoring drunk and veering around the outstretched cup of a panhandler, I trot down the sidewalk, dodging young families with strollers and courting pigeons (is it just me or are they always courting?) who explode skyward as I pass. Swerving around law students bent over with crushing backpacks, I fetch up at the corner light. I tap my foot impatiently, willing the white walking indicator to appear as my empty stomach rumbles insistently. At last! the light changes and I dart up the block and veer into my favorite neighborhood Mexican restaurant, Castellito B on McAllister Street.

They always have a solution to my hunger problem; this time their Quesadilla de Harina. The smiling young chef takes my order and flips a flour tortilla onto the grill, spreading the quesa with a fluid and generous hand. While the cheese melts, he prepares a plate, adds some chips, and shoots my order down to the cashier with a big grin and a "Gracias, amiga!" for me. In the race to yummy lunch, Castellito wins again!

3 Comments:

Blogger Dagny said...

Melted cheese is always good.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007  
Blogger Buzz Baylis said...

Zoomie,

Sounds _so_ good!
Hopefully I can join you one lunch time in the future.

MB

Tuesday, September 25, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Dagny, both the cheese and the smile feed me!

BuzzB, any day you say, MB!

Tuesday, September 25, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home