Monday, September 17, 2007

The Enemy

I've been kvetching for a few weeks about all the weed whacking My Beloved and I have been doing to clear our bottom hill of the excess biomass with which Mother Nature has seen fit to bless us over the roughly 10 years that we have neglected the Lower Forty, as we are calling it. Well, this is the nastiest part of the job - the wild blackberries.

The ivy was merely stubborn, the dead stumps fell under the saw's attack, and the saplings gave way to our giant loppers wielded by MB in a glorious show of manliness, but the blackberries were a worthy opponent.

I cleared the last of these nasties out today and emerged victorious but bathed in sweat, huffing and puffing from having dragged my victims up the hill to the lawn waste recycling bin, and criss-crossed with bloody scratches from the thorns. I may have conquered, but they didn't yield easily.

Bruce Willis would be proud of us both, me the victor and they, the valiant vanquished. Of course, they'll be back for the sequel next year.

5 Comments:

Blogger Dagny said...

They'll be back probably along with the ivy. It took me years to get rid of the ivy at my mom's house. It had this funny way of hiding out in the neighbor's yard just so it could make a reappearance.

Monday, September 17, 2007  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Pay no attention to Dagny. Gaw, what a naysayer. :D

Zoomie, this is terrific. I know how badly your plot had been neglected, and to reclaim it isn't easy. BUT! Now you have gardenable space, of the kind that you will *want* to tend. And that's fun.

Monday, September 17, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Dagny, sadly, you're no doubt right, but we are ready for them, armed to the teeth with loppers and shears!

Cookiecrumb, sadly, it's 'way too steep for actual gardening but I still get a feeling of satisfaction from falling down the hill to pick my peaches without getting hung up on pricker bushes!

Monday, September 17, 2007  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Oh, I forgot it was a slope. That makes the clearing of it all that much more of a hassle. Good, good MB!!
(Hmm. Terracing?)
Your peaches were so yummy and... real! Thank you.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, yes, the approximately 45 degree angle just made the whole thing a misery! However, it's behind me and I'm happy about that! Yes, the peaches have been wunderbar - sadly, we are on the very last few!

Tuesday, September 18, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home