Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Jive Turkey

Here's the "jive turkey" that let us down by being frozen solid when I went to roast it.

Once it thawed and was impaled on the rotisserie spit of my 40 year old Farberware
Open Hearth Grill, it became a much nicer bird, perfectly cooked and really delicious, filled with cornbread stuffing and loaded with juice.

It began as a Diestel heirloom turkey living outdoors up in the Sonora Gold Country and enjoying the good turkey life. As fancypants a bird as I have ever purchased, it came cradled in its own cardboard box.

I had a package of Pepperidge Farm cornbread crumbs so decided to try my first ever cornbread stuffing. All I did was saute' onion, celery and shallots, then add the stuffing and some parsley and herbes de Provence to the pan with a little chicken broth to moisten it, then loaded it all into the turkey. With some fresh Swiss chard from the Marin market on the side and a dollop of New England Cranberry Relish from Stonewall Kitchen, it was a lovely meal.

With only two of us in the house now that pal Jeanne has headed back to LA, you'd think we'd be awash in turkey but, in fact, this jive turkey is going fast! Sandwiches for lunch and dinner are making inroads in one of the nicest little turkeys it has ever been my pleasure to vilify.

6 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Whoo!
Ohh.
Yeah.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007  
Blogger Dagny said...

I was beginning to wonder about the turkey but I just figured that it would eventually make an appearance.

Congrats on making cornbread dressing. Here's a little secret I learned years ago. A little sauteed pork sausage, something like Jimmy Dean's, makes it even better.

And I still haven't opened the cranberry relish. I'm saving it for the perfect meal.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, you said it all!

Dagny, wow, that sounds like a huge improvement! The stuffing was good (anything with shallots in it is already good) but the sausage is a great idea! But, honey girl, open that relish - it's good on everything!

Tuesday, September 25, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for joining the cornbread dressing brigade, and PF is fine. When I find it around the holidays I toss a couple of bags into the freezer because it's nowhere around, the rest of the year. I do the celery/onion/broth routine with judicial bits of fresh sage, some fresh parsley and occasionally thyme (nope, no rosemary). It's right up there with my mama's homemade variety. Yum!

Friday, September 28, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

kudzu, I'm with you - no rosemary in this stuffing! But don't you love Dagny's idea of adding sausage? Gonna try that next time!

Saturday, September 29, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I came across your blog when searching how to cook a turkey on a Farberware Open Hearth Rottiserie. I bought mine from a garage sale and it did not come with a user's manual. My question is, How big of a Turkey can it handle? I am having quite a few people over for Thanksgiving and would REALLY like to cook my tukery on there rather than in my oven. Please email me at harveygoof@hotmail.com and let me know how big of a turkey you have cooked on it. Thanks!

Wednesday, November 14, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home