Saturday, September 29, 2007

Neutrinos, Gluons and Lemon Quark

While Los Angelina Jeanne and I were strolling around the Marin farmer's market last Sunday, we happened by the Spring Hill cheese stand. We treated ourselves to some samples (when I'm on a fixed income, I plan to eat lunch twice a week purely off the samples at the market!) of Old World Portuguese, White Cheddar and, huh? Lemon Quark?

Gotta have it, if only for the quarky name!

The Spring Hill website recommends using this ricotta-like sweet and lemony cheese on pizza or potatoes but I thought it was a natural to pair with fresh fruit. I sliced the melon we also bought at the market, added the few strawberries which had not turned to mush, and the super-sweet blackberries we found at a third stand, stuck the pot of lemon quark in the middle and called it dessert.

The taste is out of this world! Or should I say in of this world? Anyway, a whole universe of flavor in a small package!

6 Comments:

Blogger Dagny said...

That sounds absolutely wonderful. Perhaps in place of clotted cream...

Saturday, September 29, 2007  
Blogger Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

How Quarky!
I am thinking it would be yummy spread on pears.
Thanks for introducing this to me,

Saturday, September 29, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Dagny, funny you should mention clotted cream today - I saw it at Andronico's and wondered what it was used for. Fresh fruit, huh? Interesting!

sandi, I think you're right, it would be great on pears. I think it might make a killer cheesecake, too, but I haven't tried it. Yet.

Saturday, September 29, 2007  
Blogger Moonbear said...

Lemon quark is so great, isn't it? I discovered quark in Germany a few years back, and was so pleased to find it here, at last, at the farmer's market.

Saturday, September 29, 2007  
Blogger Dagny said...

Actually I buy the clotted cream from Andronico's to use with scones from Scone Henge. (They are located on Shattuck in Berkeley but Andronico's carries their scones and crumpets.) Oh, and I prefer the Double Cream.

Saturday, September 29, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

moonbear,aha! From Germany, huh? I'd never heard of it until very recently - a great find!

dagny, I always learn something from you! I saw the double cream, too, but once again didn't know what to use it for. Next time!

Sunday, September 30, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home