Friday, October 5, 2007

Locavores Beware!

Having had my consciousness raised by Michael Pollan and several of my favorite food blogs, I am trying to eat local produce whenever I can. I'm not as committed as some - I do sometimes stray from the dogma - but I figured that olive oil is one easy local item that I can certainly find in Northern California.

Wrong!

We are just a stone's throw from the Napa Valley, where olive trees here are as common as dirt but when I actually read the labels of several bottles of olive oil in my local store, only one had actually been made from California olives. Most were imported from Italy or Spain and a few were mixed with California oil, but none of the blended ones told what percentage was local. Huh!

So, locavores beware - even when the bottle is labeled "California," you really have to read the fine print!

4 Comments:

Blogger meathenge said...

MmMMMMM, olive oil. Come to the Berkeley Farmer's Market tomorrow and pick up a bottle of Bariani Extra Virgin. Cloudy green with buttery olive love.

Kinda like the Califorina oils, they ain't been sittin' in a shipping container for 3 months.

Wonnerful action.

Biggles

Friday, October 05, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Rev, I had to work today - sorry I missed you at the market! Maybe next week...

Saturday, October 06, 2007  
Blogger Anita (Married... with dinner) said...

We alternate between two semi-local brands at our house.

As Biggles mentions, Bariani -- grown outside Sacramento. -- is lovely. They sell at the Ferry Plaza market, and at Whole Foods.

We also like Stonehouse (sold at their shop inside the Ferry Building and online), which is grown in Oroville, near Chico.

Monday, October 08, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Anita, thanks for the tips - I'll try those once I've finished this bottle!

Tuesday, October 09, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home