Thursday, October 4, 2007

Barbecue @ Soluna

This is the half of my lunch that I couldn't finish.

Because I had been having a busy week and the idea of even a two-block hike to one of my favorite less expensive hangouts seemed too long, I allowed myself to be seduced from my rule of $5 lunches into the relative luxury of Soluna.

One of the nicer restaurants in the Tenderloin/Civic Center area of San Francisco is Soluna on McAllister Street. The cushy bench seat was the first comfort, the attentive server was the second, and the warm pork barbecue sandwich restored my faith in humankind.

It was mellow and rich but with a following kick of heat that left my lips tingling for an hour afterwards. Topped with melted sharp cheddar cheese and served on a homemade bun, it was a meal for two. The fries were good, too, crisp and garlicky, and the little green salad was a sop to my conscience.

'Way too much to eat, sadly, so I had to leave half of it there but I left the stress of the busy week there, too, so it was worth tripling my $5 lunch rule.

4 Comments:

Blogger Buzz Baylis said...

Seems like you made a great investment!

Thursday, October 04, 2007  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

You know what else? Great photo!

Thursday, October 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe you would eat barbecue anywhere other than NC or VA! Sinner!
:)
- rob

Friday, October 05, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

BuzzB, yes, it was a good idea for that day!

Cookiecrumb, thanks for the compliment - photography in restaurants is a challenge!

Rob, any port in a storm! This wasn't as good as Cowlings or the Lexington but beggars can't be choosers! :-)

Friday, October 05, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home