Friday, August 3, 2007

I Heart CA

Artichoke heart, that is.

When I was growing up, artichokes were always a huge treat in our family and we pretended to guard our plates jealously for fear that acquisitive siblings would sneak a couple of our leaves off onto their plates or cop a dunk in our butter dish.

Back then, artichokes were affordable on our family budget only when they got down to four for a dollar. Needless to say, they were a rare treat.

My Dad would always grumble that they were too much work for too little food, but we noticed that he never gave up before he reached the wonderful reward of the heart. We'd try to wheedle a piece of his hard-won heart from him and felt truly loved when he would share a bite.

This is one of a gazillion reasons why I like California - the artichokes are plentiful in the right season and every time I enjoy one, I am reminded of the playful family banter as we dipped into the lemon butter and shared a little literal and figurative heart.

7 Comments:

Blogger Dagny said...

I love the plate with the bumblebee. Almost as much as I love artichokes. And I am bummed that T-Rex no longer has the grilled artichoke on their appetizer menu. They were so full of buttery goodness.

Friday, August 03, 2007  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

You said "dunk"!
Ha ha. Perfect.

Friday, August 03, 2007  
Blogger meathenge said...

It's green, I don't understand.

Saturday, August 04, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Dagny, yeah, well, we're kinda suckers for anything that says "Buzz"...

Cookie, I hesitated, I'll admit, but did it anyway!

Rev, hey, there's lots of butter there, good animal fat! Said with a defensive whine...

Saturday, August 04, 2007  
Blogger meathenge said...

Uh, huh. Ya know, the next time you do that, you may want to put a chicken leg or pork chop in there. Even a little plastic chicken might do the job.

xo, Rev. Biggles

Saturday, August 04, 2007  
Blogger meathenge said...

That being said, that Bee plate totally rocks.

Saturday, August 04, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Rev, there's no mollifying you, is there? :-)

Saturday, August 04, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home