Thursday, July 26, 2007

How Do You Like Your Eggs?

In my later high school years, when my Mom figured I was old enough to make my own breakfast and elected to sleep in (smart!), my Dad and I would frequently find ourselves together in the early morning kitchen as I prepared to face another day of failure at Algebra and he girded himself for another hated day at the Pentagon. Late high school was not my favorite time of life; ditto for him and Pentagon duty.

We had a little nonsense banter that we shared back then while the eggs poached. I would ask, "Dad, how do you like your eggs?" to which he would reply, "Oh, I like my eggs!" I'd return, "No, no, I mean, how do you like them cooked?" and he'd say, "Oh, I like them cooked!"

I guess you had to be there.

Anyway, now when he has gone to heaven and I'm cooking poached eggs for myself, I always think warmly of our silly Q&A and miss that old guy.

He liked his poached eggs like this: firm whites, firm/runny yolks and, if possible on English muffins. Thomas' English muffins. Thomas' English muffins slathered with butter. And the eggs topped with a little salt and a big grinding of fresh black pepper.

After a breakfast like that, one can face one's duty. Even if it means the Pentagon and Algebra.

11 Comments:

Blogger Dagny said...

What time is breakfast served?

Thursday, July 26, 2007  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Ft. Hunt High School, Alexandria.
Where y'at?

Thursday, July 26, 2007  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Oh. Duh. I clicked.
Wakefield.
:D

Thursday, July 26, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Dagny, what time do you like it?

Cookiecrumb, I am reliably informed by those who cared about such things that Fort Hunt was Wakefield's arch rival in sports events. :-)

Thursday, July 26, 2007  
Blogger meathenge said...

I liked me eggs softly scrambled ... uh, with bacon.

Biggles

Thursday, July 26, 2007  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Yeah, and I am reliably informed that Fort Hunt HS subsequently burned down. I only went to the games in order to be invited to the beer parties afterwards.

(Um. Biggles. I make the *best* scrambled eggs.)

Thursday, July 26, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Rev, uhuh, or maybe with a little ham or Canadian bacon chopped up in the scramble...

Cookiecrumb, no kidding! I hadn't heard the news about FHHS. What's your secret for the *best* scrambled eggs? Tell, tell!

Thursday, July 26, 2007  
Blogger meathenge said...

No, bacon. American belly bacon, it's what's for breakfast.

Biggles

Friday, July 27, 2007  
Blogger Deetsa said...

I think that sounds good as a meal prior to any daunting task. Yum!

Friday, July 27, 2007  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Zoo: My technique is ultra-slow scrambling over low heat. Just keep stirring and stirring until you get a moist almost-sauce! It will be curd-like enough to be enjoyable.
Oh! Foreign Cinema does their scrambled eggs this way. Their presentation is way more awesome than anything I could do, but because there is the buzz of a restaurant going on there, I think they rush them a bit.
(Do people still invite guests to their homes for brunch, dammit?)

Friday, July 27, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookie, you make scrambled eggs like my Dad did, very very slowly. We would get impatient as little kids but it was worth the wait!

Tuesday, July 31, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home