Thursday, July 19, 2007

Little Green Buddy

That's a cherry tomato, to give you an idea of the small size of the most useful kitchen tool I've bought this year.

It's a really, really small colander that I bought mainly because it made me laugh - so small and so very green it was! It's made by Zak!Designs and I got it at one of those fancy-pants cooking stores. I honestly can't recall which one - they are all irresistible to me. On a bad day, some women resort to chocolate; I head for a cooking store to drool over the place mats and the mixers.

Anyway, I remember thinking when I got it home, "Now, why didn't you just pass that one by??" but I have eaten my words many times since then. It's a great size, just enough for washing a basket of strawberries or cherry tomatoes, rinsing a few veggies for us two, or holding just enough mushrooms for making Joe's Special from Cookiecrumb's recipe.

I have used this little beauty so many times that I don't bother to put it away any more. It just lives in the drainboard awaiting the next time I reach for my little green buddy.

10 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Ha! You beat me to it. I was going to blithely comment, "So why put it away at all?"
It's CUTE.

Thursday, July 19, 2007  
Blogger Dagny said...

Too cute.

Thursday, July 19, 2007  
Blogger meathenge said...

My colander is bright yellow plastic and matches the date on your countertop. Yay!

Biggles

Thursday, July 19, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, glad you admire! It really is a great size!

Dagny, yes, you just want to pinch its cheeks, don't you?

Biggles, I keep thinking, "I _like_ this guy!" Maybe when we meet and we won't have flowers in our labels as recognition symbols, rather we'll have colorful colanders. :-)

Thursday, July 19, 2007  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I'll wear mine on my pointy little head!

Thursday, July 19, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, it would have to be pretty darn pointy or this will end up looking like a perforated Jackie Kennedy hat in a color that lady would never have chosen!

Thursday, July 19, 2007  
Blogger Krizia said...

My "little green buddy" is actually black and made of rubber. It's my spatula! He's handsome, and also lives in the drainboard :) I think I'm going to need one of these too now!

Friday, July 20, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Krizia, welcome! I'm glad your spatula has a good home!

Friday, July 20, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My wee colander is stainless steel mesh, not a bit as stylish as yours, but I know what you mean: I use it every day. Latest trick: placing it over a frozen patty of Black Angus beef as it thawed, just in case any varmints flew in through my open kitchen door. I will look for one like yours on my next down day excursion (I usually go to thrift stores but will make an exception.)

Saturday, July 21, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kudzu, I saw a white one today at Target in Albany but you might try the Target in Novato if you really want one.

Saturday, July 21, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home