Friday, July 13, 2007

Ya Gotta Love It

Ya gotta love all the funky, wonderful places there are in the Bay area to get a quick but delicious bite to eat! This is one of our standbys, the Seabreeze in Berkeley, right next to the frontage road at the corner of University on the bay side of the freeway.

I imagine the Seabreeze began as a fruit stand, as they still feature big boxes of fresh fruit, but they also offer a huge selection of baked goods, bottled drinks, and snack foods.

A great reason for going there is that you can order a sandwich picnic to go on your way to the Marina or the Dog Park, or hot things to eat at their (chained) picnic tables. Fine dining, it's not, but it's a great place to grab a bite and sit in the sunshine in your blue jeans with no shame.

We are particularly partial to their shrimp cocktail in a cup or their fresh salads. On our last visit, however, My Beloved and I were in the mood for oysters so he ordered the Oyster Sandwich and I opted for the fried oysters with fries and cole slaw. Both were too much to finish and very fresh and yummy.

Heart healthy? Probably not. Gourmet? Nah. But delicious on a sunny day? Ya gotta love it!

4 Comments:

Blogger Dagny said...

Yep, Seabreeze started as a fruit stand, if you can even call it that. I still remember the days when it was just a truck parked on the corner. This whole "permanent" structure thing still takes me by surprise when I pass it.

Monday, July 16, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Dagny: The fruit stand has been there at least 12 years, since that's how long I've been going. Fun, isn't it?

Monday, July 16, 2007  
Blogger Dagny said...

Even longer than that, Zoomie. My memories of their truck days date back to at least when I was in high school and that was over 20 years ago. In case you haven't guessed, I'm an East Bay native.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

dagny: Wow, you are an honest-to-goodness native Californian? They are rare! Most of us are refugees from some other, less attractive, place. I'm impressed.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home