Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Homage to Luther Burbank

Ah, nectarines at last!

I love most fruits - one of the reasons I so enjoy California is simply the length of the strawberry season - but, oh, I do rejoice when the nectarines come into the market.

Like all fruit, if you can't smell the aroma from five feet away, it's probably not worth buying. I've seen nectarines in the market for a couple of weeks or more but until they entice from afar, I resist their colorful blandishments.

Wrapped in prosciutto, they make a splendid appetizer and nothing could be simpler to make. The salty shock of the ham followed by the sweet flood of nectarine may not be heaven, but you can see it from there.

Did you know that we live right close to where Luther Burbank did his many plant experiments, one of which gave us the wonderful nectarine? Just up Route 101 in Sonoma County, you can visit the actual house and garden where he lived and worked. It's a great spot when the fog rolls in to San Francisco on the very day you had hoped for an outdoor picnic. Instead of pulling on long pants and a sweatshirt and shivering in the fog, buy some richly scented nectarines, put on your shorts, and head up to Santa Rosa to pay homage to Mr. Burbank.


7 Comments:

Blogger Dagny said...

I've never tried the combo but it sounds yummy. And thank you for the reminder about Luther Burbank. I feel a road trip coming on. And maybe a stop along the way at Beekind.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Biggles says he recognizes the countertops in your photos and knows where you live. I am SO ratting him out.
Not the kind of person you'd want to get too close to, you know? Mean, ugly. Be careful.
:D

Wednesday, July 25, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love nectarines and prosciutto but never thought to put them together...YUM!

Wednesday, July 25, 2007  
Blogger obachan said...

Hi. I came here via cookiecrumb's site. This combo of ham and nectarines sounds very tempting. I can picture myself grabbing a pack of nectarines at a supermarket in early August. Thanks for sharing the idea.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007  
Blogger Renee said...

Nectarines are LOVE. They're like a guilty pleasure for me they're so good.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Dagny, yes, get your bee products while you still can! Serious worry about those little sweeties these days!

Cookiecrumb, OMG! :-)

Mrs. I, it was inspiration for me, too!

Obachan, Thanks for visiting all the way from Japan! I lived in Japan for a year long ago and loved it!

Wednesday, July 25, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nan, Amen to that!

Wednesday, July 25, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home