Friday, July 27, 2007

Food for Mind and Soul

If I had to choose between food and reading, I'd have a tough time. Ever since I read "Skippy" in the fourth grade, I was bitten by the reading bug and have never been without a book to read since.

Luckily, my reading tastes have matured since "Skippy." My latest treasure read is "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by local Bay Area writer Khaled Hosseini. It is a marvelous book, as was his "The Kite Runner."

Set in Afghanistan, it follows two women through their lives with all the political changes happening in Afghanistan and ending after the Taliban was ousted. It's powerful stuff, not a pleasant read but ultimately uplifting and hopeful.

I'm happy that I don't have to choose between food and reading - this is the kind of book that would make that choice next to impossible.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dagny said...

That book is next on my reading list. Glad to hear it's as good as I was thinking that it would be.

Friday, July 27, 2007  
Blogger Deetsa said...

Curious to know what "Skippy" is. Is it a novel and if yes, by whom?

Friday, July 27, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Dagny, how's it so far?

Nerissa, I'm embarassed to admit that I don't know the answer to your question. I looked on Amazon.com and there are two possible Skippys, one written in the 1920s and one in the late 1940s, but both were more expensive than I was willing to order to verify which one (if either) it was! Delightful children's book to one who loves animals, in any case! It was about a little dog and I didn't want it to end!

Monday, July 30, 2007  
Blogger Dagny said...

I haven't started it yet. Still doing my young adult reading. I've been reading the Midnighters trilogy by Scott Westerfeld. There is some mighty fine sci-fi out there in the young adult section, if you ask me. And move over HP when The Golden Compass film comes out later this year. I have probably re-read that trilogy more than the HP books.

Next in my list of adult reading is The Poe Shadow. Actually I've already started it. When I finish that one, I'll read A Thousand Splendid Suns.

Monday, July 30, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home