Saturday, July 28, 2007

Favorite Breakfast

After a dinner that includes an Acme Sour baguette, the next morning I indulge in one of my all-time favorite breakfasts, leftover baguette and unsalted Challenge European style butter with a good cup of coffee from Graffeo's in San Rafael.

After a night on my kitchen counter, wrapped only in its original paper bag, the baguette is even more flavorful and has gotten a little chewier.

I first tasted this breakfast in France when I was parked in a small and very frugal French boarding school back in my salad days. The redoubtable headmistress, Madame Blay (pronounced like the Mutiny on the Bounty's cruel captain - how appropros!) found all kinds of frugal ways to fill up a ravenous gaggle of growing girls. Breakfast of last night's baguette was one of those ways.

On a later trip to Paris I was re-introduced to this delight when we ate day-old ficelles with cafe au lait for breakfast at my brother's apartment near the Arc de Triomphe. The combination of strong, fresh coffee with cream and simple bread and butter starts the whole day out on a happy and satisfying note.

This week's posts seem to feature breakfast a lot; funny, as I almost never eat breakfast. Go figure! So, what's your favorite breakfast? I'd be interested to read...

9 Comments:

Blogger Barbara said...

I've enjoyed breakfasts like this in France on holiday. They don't taste the same back home.

Saturday, July 28, 2007  
Blogger Deetsa said...

I'm in France right now enjoying breakfast similar to this although I add my beloved yaourt de brebis into the mix and minus the coffee (I prefer the juices in the morning).

When not in France, my favourite would have to be one of either of these:
yoghurt with fresh blueberries, topped with sunflower seeds and drizzled in clover honey

my mother's homemade nut-raisin granola drench in milk and slurped up all too quickly

Sunday, July 29, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there!

I recently dusted off an old appliance, and am enjoying the mouth-puckering taste of homemade yogurt, sometimes plain, sometimes mixed with some fresh fruit or Trader Joe's 3 Berry Granola, sometimes in a smoothie. That, and yummy zucchini muffins, now that zucchini are so plentiful at the farmer's market.

~ Peggasus

Sunday, July 29, 2007  
Blogger Dagny said...

Dining out? Blackberry Cafe in Oakland, Ella's in SF or the New Orleans at Savor in SF.

Dining in? Chicken hash with poached eggs. Or a scramble of some sort topped with avocado and served with bacon. Either way both require English muffins topped with butter and jam from Wild Pear. Oh, and a cup of chai.

Sunday, July 29, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Barbara, you're right - not the same - but that's not necessarily bad!

Nerissa, lucky you! I love the French yogurt, too, in the little glass bottles with just enough room in the top for the right amount of sugar to make it smooth/crunchy and sweet/tart at the same time. Yumm!

Anon, my mouth is watering - I like the granola/yogurt combo, too, especially Cafe Fanny granola in Brown Cow yogurt (with the fat skimmed off for dipping strawberries, later!)

Dagny, any of that, all of that sounds _great!_ MB especially loves hash I'd love your chicken hash recipe...hint, hint!

Monday, July 30, 2007  
Blogger Dagny said...

Unfortunately I started with a recipe that I have since lost. I now no longer measure so all measurements are approximate.

Chicken Hash

Boil salted water. Add in about 8-10 red creamer potatoes, diced. Cook until just tender and drain.

In a skillet, melt about 2 TB of butter over medium heat. Cook 4-5 chopped scallions and 1/2 red bell pepper, diced. Cook until starting to soften. Add in potatoes. Cook about another 5 minutes or so. Add in one cooked chicken breast, diced. Season with salt, pepper, and rosemary. Cook until starting to brown. Add in a little chicken broth to bind (about 1-2 TB) and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.

I serve it in a plate that is more like a shallow bowl. Then I set the poached eggs on top. Photo of the recipe can be found here.

Monday, July 30, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Dagny, that looks delicious! I will try it soon! Thanks!

Monday, July 30, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Breakfast "out" in SF at Boulette's Larder in the Ferry Building. What a treat. Last time I was there, I had an amazing dish that tastes a lot better than it sounds - poached eggs over cauliflower puree, topped with japanese breadcrumbs. Delicious.

Wednesday, August 01, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Anon, my boss took our whole staff to Boulette's Larder a couple of weeks ago and I agree, they are fun! Look for a post soon about our experience there! Your breakfast sounds yummy!

Thursday, August 02, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home