Sunday, September 30, 2012

Tortilla (In No Time) Flat

If you can think of something that gets dinner on the table quicker than having tortillas in the fridge, please tell me what it is. Even a stir fry takes 20 minutes, since good rice takes that long to cook. But tortillas are ready to go (if you use store-bought ones like lazy me) and prepping fresh ingredients for a rollup like this is the work of a minute.

We made chicken tacos the other night, when both of us were hungry but neither of us was much in a mood to fuss. My Beloved walked the dog, set the table and poured the drinks while I chopped half a tomato, minced half a small onion, sliced an avocado and a chicken breast, and chopped some lettuce and cilantro. I had bottled salsa in the fridge and hot sauce, so we were good to go.

After shaking some fajita spice over the chicken strips, it only took about five minutes on the grill to cook it to juicy perfection while the tortillas warmed in a wide frying pan over low heat.

When it's time to assemble, all you do is lay a stripe or a drizzle of hot sauce, according to your preference, down the middle of the tortilla, pile in the other ingredients - a bit of this and a handful of that - fold up the bottom first to catch the drips, then both sides overlapping and you've got a handful flavor in no time flat.

6 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Easy peasey!We keep tortillas on hand. I find they last forever in the fridge.

Sunday, September 30, 2012  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I have the tortillas always on hand, cooked chicken and raw stuff but I don't have a grill. OH woe! It was so warm in the city today that a bit of grilled chicken would have been very nice. Bet you liked it though - and it's supposed to be even warmer tomorrow.

Sunday, September 30, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, I was going to freeze the rest of my tortillas, but next time I will do a longevity test in the fridge instead.

Nancy, Murphy's Law. We are in chilly Boston now, missing the warm weather at home! Grrr!

Monday, October 01, 2012  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

You are in Boston? Oh the irony!

Monday, October 01, 2012  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

So pretty, it looks like nouvelle something. I almost thought those golden tomato slices were mango.
One of these days I will tell you what I know about how the various tortilla treats are folded (or not). That little papoose you created by pleating a flour tortilla around the ingredients? Burrito.
Doesn't matter. Take over the world!

Monday, October 01, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, yes. phooey!

Cookie crumb, we just call them soft tacos, but a rose by any other name...

Tuesday, October 02, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home