Thursday, September 20, 2012

Embellishments

Not having warm Southern roots, I rarely think of making cornbread. I actually really like cornbread, too, so it makes no sense. I wish I thought of it more often. When I came across a package of corn bread mix in my pantry, I couldn't remember even when I bought it - that should give you an idea of what a novelty it is in my house.

Thinking to use it up before the expiration date, I pulled it out, read the simple directions, and decided that it needed a little embellishment to make it perfect.  The package suggested adding fresh corn kernels and that definitely appealed, but I thought also that some sliced green onion would give extra flavor and interest. 

It was so pretty that I just had to take a picture of it. The little green flecks were still bright after baking, since corn bread doesn't take very long. And the corn kernels added a little moisture and texture. 

Another thing the package suggested was to heat a well-buttered iron skillet in the oven and pour the batter into that, which I did. The result was a nice, crusty bottom to the bread. Next time, I'd add just a bit more butter to the bottom, too.

All in all, a nice success and so easy! I'm not above embellishing a packaged mix - are you?

6 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I use Jiffy all the time because cornbread is a staple at Chez Nancy. I also like adding Jalapeno peppers and if I'm planning to use the cornbread as a breakfast food, I add cheddar cheese.

Thursday, September 20, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

I will try Jiffy next time!

Friday, September 21, 2012  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

So cute! Amazing how a flavor embellishment can result in an optical embellishment.

Friday, September 21, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, yes, I thought so, too.

Friday, September 21, 2012  
Blogger Greg said...

I love cornbread but never make it. Why??

Tuesday, September 25, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, I'm like you. Just don't think of it, but once I do, I love making it!

Tuesday, September 25, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home