Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Disappearing Salad

Okay, meat lover though I am, even I have had enough posts about the Porkhouse, so I'm taking a break before showing you my own lunch there. Instead, here's a little salad that I found on the web and now can't recall where. A great end-of-summer salad that is easy, quick and uses the ripe produce of summer.

I was serving hamburgers for dinner - pretty boring - and needed something a little jazzy as accompaniment. I had two ears of corn in the fridge but the two we had eaten the night before were a little starchy rather than sweet, so I knew these would not be the very best. How to disguise less-than-optimal corn?

The answer is to combine it with other really perfect ingredients in this little salad. I used halved cherry tomatoes that my friend from Meathenge had brought me (by the way, these were so sweet and flavorful that they made a mockery of even ones purchased at the farmer's market), chunks of ripe avocado and the fresh, raw corn kernels cut off the cob.

For dressing, all you do is squeeze half of a juicy Meyer lemon (gift from Garden Girl) over the ingredients and drizzle them with olive oil. Salt, pepper, toss together and you have a nifty little side dish. The lemon gives tang and the oil magically mixes with the avocado to make a light green coating for everything.

It disappeared in record time.


4 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

I could make a whole meal of your dish.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Yeah, it looks like you invented avonnaise. Must try me some.
Ditto what Greg said.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

What a delicious salad - now that's one I will have to try.

Thank you for your lovely comment on my latest piece. I am surprised at my affinity for pastels. Your praise makes a nice change from the rather nasty comments that I have gotten, because I dared criticize Barry McGee. I got another one on my blog, not quite anonymous but close. Now, if they would only post on the Examiner so I can make some money!!!!! Haven't decided whether I will approve the latest, condensing comment yet but again, thank you for your praise and another fabulous recipe.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, if I had had a bit more corn, I probably would have!

Cookiecrumb, avonaise! Love it!

Nancy, I think different artists do better with certain materials and, clearly, pastels are your "thing." Your colors are wonderful, the shapes interesting and true, and the compositions compelling. What fun for you to be exploring a whole new method of self-expression!

Thursday, September 13, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home