Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Du Temps Perdu

Lady fingers!  Lady fingers!

I can't remember the last time I saw lady fingers for sale in the store. My mother used to make dainty little desserts using lady fingers for her "hen parties," back in the 'fifties, and we kids would filch a few when she wasn't looking. So, if only for sentiment's sake, I had to buy a package of lady fingers when I stumbled across them. They are to me as madeleines were to Marcel Proust.

Sadly, they weren't up to my memories of lady fingers, but they were pretty good. Top them with fresh raspberries, blackberries and strawberries and a splash of half-and-half and you have a nice summer dessert. 

I might have to go looking for a lady fingers recipe to see if they are easy to make. I know my mother bought hers, but she wasn't an avid baker, so they might be within my range. In the meantime, I'm enjoying the nostalgia.

7 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

The only time I've seen lady fingers used is in tiramisu. As a vehicle for containing the liquid. They do make a lovely presentation.

Tuesday, September 04, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, I've never attempted tiramisu. I should look into that, too.

Tuesday, September 04, 2012  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I used packaged lady fingers ages ago but didn't much like them -however the addition of fruit and cream would certainly perk them up. I found this recipe if you want to try making them:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-live/homemade-lady-fingers-recipe/index.html

Tuesday, September 04, 2012  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Dis is berry, berry pretty!

Just so you know, FB is not allowing me to reply to messages. Arghh. Doing pretty well, but not done healing yet. Might need surgery.

Thank you so much for the note.

Wednesday, September 05, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, I think I will try making some, just for fun. Thanks for the lead.

Cookiecrumb, man, I really, really miss your blog now that election season is upon us! You'd have so many nifty things to say.

Glad to hear the foot is better, even if it's not perfect yet. I will keep my fingers crossed that surgery is not necessary.

Wednesday, September 05, 2012  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Oh, I reply! You must try making your own ladyfingers. Me, I'm working on my own footfingers. :)

Wednesday, September 05, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, I'm wishing your footfingers well.

Wednesday, September 05, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home