Thursday, August 16, 2012

Faith Restored

The other day, I stopped in to Little Louie's in Point Richmond for a breakfast sandwich after swimming for a vigorous hour with my Masters team.  Swimming that hard for that long builds a heck of an appetite and Little Louie's staff makes the best breakfast sandwiches I have found since I retired and left Em's in the San Francisco Civic Center behind.

Toasted whole wheat bread, scrambled egg, Swiss cheese and bacon is a killer combo.

As I headed off for swimming, I tucked money into the pocket of my jeans, figuring to buy a cup of coffee and a breakfast sandwich on the way home. When I had placed my order and poured myself a cup of coffee, I went to fish out that money and it was gone!  I looked all around the restaurant, thinking it might have fallen out - but no luck.

Did someone steal it from my pocket while I was swimming??  I do leave my clothes (usually ratty old ones) in the changing room while I swim and no one had ever taken anything before. I was most upset, feeling let down by the whole human race and particularly by some sneaky little rat who rifled my clothes while I was working out.

I made my apologies, bolted home and got more money, then raced back down to pay for my breakfast. As I hopped out of my car, there on the sidewalk was my five bucks, lying right where it fell.  Not only had no one stolen it, no one had even taken it from outside a busy restaurant in the time it took for me to drive home, get my wallet, drive back, and find it.

My faith in human nature is restored. I scooped up my money, paid the bill and relished my sandwich down to the second-to-last bite.  Cora always hopes for the very last bite and, filled with gratitude, I shared it with her.

7 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Swiss cheese on a breakfast sandwich...there's an idea I will be will be borrowing.
You got some serious good karma working there. Might be time to buy a lotto ticket.

Thursday, August 16, 2012  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

If anybody deserves good karma, it's you. I'm glad that Cora got to share as well. I am eating my low fat cottage cheese for breakfast, filled with envy your your breakfast sandwich, and, more importantly a place to swim. SF has many things but not any clean and safe swimming pools.

Thursday, August 16, 2012  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

Great sandwich - and story. I have to admit I would expect that to happen in, say Norway or Japan.... Glad to know it can happen in the US, too.

Thursday, August 16, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, good idea! They aren't sold in my town, however, so I'll have to go further afield.

Nancy, you live close enough to Em's that you could splurge once in a while. Theirs are hot, fresh and made on an English muffin if you want - the best in the city!

Katiez, my mother once left her purse on a bench at a train station in Japan for fully 20 minutes and when she rushed back in a panic, there it was, untouched. Here, I count myself dumb lucky.

Friday, August 17, 2012  
Blogger Diane said...

Love your story....my husband is always quite sure someone has moved or taken something of his until he finds it right where he left it (but couldn't remember). This is an ongoing hilarious saga in our home!

Monday, August 20, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Diane, my mother must have said to us a million times, when we were searching for something, "Where did you leave it?" She was right - it was right there! :-)

Monday, August 20, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Diane, my mother must have said to us a million times, when we were searching for something, "Where did you leave it?" She was right - it was right there! :-)

Monday, August 20, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home