Thursday, August 2, 2012

"You Can Tune A Piano...

but you can't tuna fish!" 


That's a line my Dad would have loved. He had a really, really corny sense of humor and chuckled over groaners like that. No kidding.


Which has little to do with tuna sandwiches. Recently, over at Tea and Cookies, I saw one of the most stunning food styling photographs it has ever been my pleasure to view - the ingredients for a Pan Bagnat deconstructed onto a dark table. Brilliant. I'm often struck by Tea's photos, but this one was even more stunning than her standard gorgeous ones.


The sandwich spoke to me, too. I do enjoy a good tuna salad sandwich in the American tradition, but this French version was something I had read about but never tried. A tuna sandwich without mayo was a new concept, but the rest of the ingredients sounded so good that I just had to try it. So, I went about gathering the ingredients and made one for lunch last week. I won't go into a lengthy description - Tea already did a super job of that and you can find it by clicking on the link above - but I will say that the addition of marinated artichoke hearts to the sandwich and Herbes de Provence to the garlicky oil and vinegar dressing were both to our liking. 


Earthy, tangy, garlicky and bold, this is a sandwich for the ages. All ages. No kidding.







4 Comments:

Blogger Hungry Dog said...

I love pan bagnat, it is, in my mind, superior to the American tuna sammie. If you ever find yourself at Cafe de la Presse in SF, order theirs. It's divine! I'm going there on tuesday and already dreaming of eating it!

Saturday, August 04, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Hungry Dog, thanks for the tip about Cafe de la Presse's pan bagnat. I often go there when I'm in that part of the city, so I will remember. Have fun on Tuesay!

Saturday, August 04, 2012  
Blogger Greg said...

Hold the egg and charge me double! That reminds me of...you can pet a cat..you can pet a dog but you can't Petaluma!

Tuesday, August 07, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, why no egg? It soaks up a goodly amount of vinaigrette...

Tuesday, August 07, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home