Friday, July 13, 2012

Easily Amused

When I buy a package of tortillas, I always wonder if I'll have to end up freezing half of them - we never seem to finish them off. It's possible to freeze them, of course, but they aren't as good afterwards - soggy in some spots and dry in others. Still, waste not, want not, right?


This time, after making soft tacos one night, I had the idea to make fajitas on a subsequent evening - no need to freeze in between! My Beloved often orders fajitas when we go out  but I had never tried making them at home. One of the reasons is that I like sweet peppers but they don't like me - they come back to haunt me for hours after I eat them.  The other reason is that fajitas require split-second timing if you want to end up with rare steak, as we like it.


So, to get the combo of rare steak and comfortably softened veggies, I first seared the steak strips quickly in a very hot pan to caramelize the outsides, removing them to a plate to hold. I sautéed the onions and peppers (I used red and yellow ones for color) in the same pan over a slightly lower heat to give them some of the beefy flavor, adding the beef back in to heat quickly before serving. I heated the tortillas gently to warm pliability in another (lidded) pan.


We had placed hot pads, so the pan with the tortillas and the one with the filling went right on the table. We each chose a tortilla, filled it with a selection from the pan (mine was light on the peppers), wrapped them up and took a bite. Quite good for a first try, the meat nicely pink inside and the peppers and onions sweetly singing, but maybe a tad bland. So, we got out the Cholula (the gateway drug for hot pepper lovers) and added a little spice to the filling. Big improvement.


Still, I think there's some tweaking needed to this dish, but I'm not sure what?  We had green beans on the side but I'm wondering what green veggies might be fun to cook along with the peppers and onions.  I might also try them with leftover roasted chicken next time, rather than the beef. 


In any case, we got a little kick out of eating finger food at the table, dribbling steak juices onto our plates and down our hands. We're pretty easy to amuse.



12 Comments:

Blogger Chilebrown said...

I am amused that you feel the need to freeze some left over tortillas that are worth pennies but will spend twenty five dollars or more on a overpriced grass fed protein.

Friday, July 13, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Chilebrown, I freeze my tortillas so I can afford to eat humanely raised, healthier, grass-raised protein. So there!

Friday, July 13, 2012  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

Even you admit that frozen tortillas are:'soggy in some spots and dry in others.' This is America and you can waste your money on any fancy titled, tough, and foul tasting protein you want. Why not spend the extra two dollars and have some fresh tortillas. Show some support for the local tortilla farmers.

Friday, July 13, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Chilebrown, I don't think it helps the local tortilla farmers for me to waste their hard work. I think you and I will have to agree to disagree on grass-raised and free-range meats. I don't eat them because they are fancy - I eat them because they are tasty and better for me than grain-fed animals who are kept in crowded cages. I'm willing to pay more for that.

I'll just use up my tortillas with two meals rather than freeze them - how's that for willingness to compromise? :-)

Friday, July 13, 2012  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Not gettin' in here.

Friday, July 13, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, I don't blame you. It's getting ugly. :-)

Saturday, July 14, 2012  
Blogger Melissa Blake said...

Ooooh, that looks so delicious!! xoxo

Saturday, July 14, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Melissa, welcome! I took a quite trot through your blog - loved the Chicago tshirts and Manhattanhenge! Hope to see you here again.

Saturday, July 14, 2012  
Blogger Greg said...

Got to get you two a referee! I have a similar problem with peppers. If they are red I'm okay,green no way! I too end up throwing out tortillas sometimes. If I refrigerate them from day one they last a long time.

Monday, July 16, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, feelings run high around food issues, don't they? I still love Chilebrown.

Monday, July 16, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Season with soy sauce and lime juice and a little liquid smoke when you are cooking and it won't be bland.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

tulsamom, thanks for the hints. Another friend recommended Penzey's Fajita Spice. Who knew?

Friday, July 20, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home