Monday, July 9, 2012

Lunching In Style


Each summer since my friend Betsy taught me to make this sandwich back when we were both in our 20s, I have made a point of collecting the correct, ripe, perfect ingredients at least once during that season. It only comes about when there are perfectly ripe tomatoes and avocados in the world at the same time.


But this year, as you may recall, I rushed the season and made roasted, garlicky, thyme-y tomatoes from Greg's recipe. After carefully saving them for the promised burger, I opened the fridge to find a beautifully ripe avocado that My Beloved had neglected to put on his salad. With growing excitement, I noted that I also had my favorite wheatberry bread and even the required lemon! OMG!


I hastily toasted the bread and topped it with some of those tomatoes steeped in garlic and thyme, avocado slices, a driz of fresh lemon juice and freshly ground black pepper.


When the tomatoes are fresh and ripe, there is a little tang from them that was all sweetness from these roasted ones. The sweetness changed the character of the sandwich from rugged to mellow. I suppose my absolute preference would be for the original, fresh version but when tomato season is still a month away, a girl can't be too choosy.


I was so excited, I actually got out a cloth placemat and matching napkin to do justice to this marvelous sandwich. Now, that's what I call lunching in style!



3 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Crikey! She's a beauty.

Monday, July 09, 2012  
Blogger Hungry Dog said...

This sounds absolutely fantastic. I am seriously addicted to avocado these days...

Monday, July 09, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, thanks to you!

Hungry Dog, yes, yes, yes! So love avocado!

Tuesday, July 10, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home