Saturday, July 7, 2012

Still Not Bored

Today is the fifth anniversary of Zoomie Station. 1557 posts so far, and I'm still finding new and goofy things to write about. I never imagined it would last this long. I really started writing  so I'd have my favorite recipes online and accessible from anywhere, but it has become far more important to me than that. I have cut down from daily to every other day, but I'm still getting a kick out of writing and reading your responses.


I thought this picture of my cutting boards might make you smile today. The reason we have so many cutting boards is that we have tiled counters (really ugly - you can see them in the photo) and the grout catches gunk that I don't care to include in my recipes. No matter how carefully I clean the counters, I never have confidence that it does any good.  So, we use cutting boards for everything from making sandwiches to carving roasts and we keep them all out on the counter for quick access.


We have all shapes and sizes, and each one has a special place in my heart. The biggest one has a groove around the edge for catching meat juices from our roasts. The smallest one was turned for me by my first father-in-law, who was a master woodworker and cabinet maker. The parquet one was made for me by my younger brother, another sentimental favorite. The long, skinny one sticking out from behind Groovy and in front of the pizza peel, was a gift at Katie's wedding - she served cheeses to her guests on boards and everyone got to keep theirs as a souvenir of the wedding. The slender bamboo one works best for slicing breads and the round one with the hole is the best all-around size for chopping veggies.


Board. Bored. No, I'm still not bored with the idea of writing to tell you about food we have enjoyed, or happenings in our lives, or books I have read and recommend, or whatever comes to mind on the days when I sit down at my computer to compose. Thanks for coming here and for your many comments. It's really the interaction with readers that makes this whole thing fun.


Cheers!









9 Comments:

Blogger Toons said...

No, thank you for the hours of enjoyment I have gotten from reading your prose. And a thank you to your cousin Jan for turning me on to your blog> Cheers!

Saturday, July 07, 2012  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Your blog is the first thing that I read to when turn on my computer. In my world, you are more important than the NY times and a lot more fun. Thank you for all that you share and for our friendship - another Internet miracle. This is typed on my new computer - a state of the art Apple that I haven't been able to tear myself away from since I got it a couple of days ago.

Saturday, July 07, 2012  
Anonymous Traci.parker705@gmail.com said...

I read your blog as soon as I sit down to surf. You are wonderful and kind. Your writing is so descriptive and smart. Thank you. Traci

Saturday, July 07, 2012  
Blogger Greg said...

Congrats on five years. I hope your blog continues to bring you and us great reward.

Saturday, July 07, 2012  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Congratulations on a warm, personal, informative blog. I like to think I might have been instrumental in getting you to start. Maybe not. Good work!

Saturday, July 07, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG Zoomie... how could I have left you? It's been so so long since I've read your blog and once again your draw me right in. Do you remember Deetsa from Deetsa's Diningroom? That's me. I'm starting a new blog and hopefully not drifting away like I did before. With you to read, how could I? Congrats on the five year and having far more dedication and stamina than I. :)

Saturday, July 07, 2012  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Zoomie, you're outlasting us all :)

Monday, July 09, 2012  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Monday, July 09, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Toons, you sweet talker, you! *blush*

Nancy, thanks for saying that - you made my day! Congrats on your new computer!

Traci.parker705, wow, I didn't even know you were reading and here you are being so nice! Thank you!

Greg, such kind words! Thank you for coming here.

Cookiecrumb, yes, between you and Molly, you gave me courage and heart. Thanks for the little push!

yesteryum, I'm a little rushed this morning, but I'll check out your new blog soon. Welcome back!

Ms Mouse, nice way of saying I'm more verbose than the rest. :-) Hope to see you when you come east.

Monday, July 09, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home