Sunday, August 12, 2012

Too Many Tomatoes


Each year, when ripe tomatoes come spilling out of baskets at the farmer's market, I always buy too many. We are only two here but I buy for an army. Irresistible colors and flavors. 

When I end up with an abundance, I start to think, as they soften day by day in the bowl on my counter, of how to use them up. When I read about a simple upside down tomato tart the other day on La Tartine Gourmande, I knew I had found my salvation.

For this tart, you soften the tomatoes in a pan first with balsamic vinegar, then transfer them to a tart pan, top with a buttery crust, and bake in the oven. When it comes out, you flip it and, magically, the crust is on the bottom! 

Béa's was much prettier than mine, but then she's a famous food stylist and I'm just a happy home cook. Mine tasted just as good as hers, mind you, except for the crust, which got a bit soggy as the tart cooled. (I didn't use her crust recipe, so it's not Béa's fault.  My advice would be to take her advice).

Still, those lovely, sweet, soft tomatoes, steeped in balsamic vinegar, fresh herbs and summer color!  I have to go out now and buy too many tomatoes again, just for the chance to repeat this.

7 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Ha ha, that's great! It didn't come out looking much like Bèa's tarte, but you knew that going in.
Were you surprised, when you flipped the pie, that you had placed the tomatoes so all you see is their cooked bottoms? It's so cute, it makes me jealous.

Sunday, August 12, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, the recipe calls for placing the 'maters so they are served bottom side up. I'm very obedient. You'd like this recipe, if you could find a low-fat crust.

Monday, August 13, 2012  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Yes, I see now. Her photos are so fussy, I couldn't tell.
Heh. "Low fat crust"? Never!

Monday, August 13, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

The blog "Thyme for Cooking" has a recipe for a rice crust that is lower in calories, I think. I haven't tried it - as you know, I'm a full-fat lover - but you might like it. Her name is KatieZ (Zeller).

Monday, August 13, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

On second thought, I think you'd like these tomatoes just as they are - no need for a crust, period! Our crust got soggy the second day, so I just picked off the roasted tomatoes and they were great.

Monday, August 13, 2012  
Blogger Greg said...

Looks like a painting. Never too many maters!

Wednesday, August 15, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, go over and look a Bea's - it's much prettier.

Thursday, August 16, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home