Thursday, August 23, 2012

On My Mind

Nachos. I have had nachos on my mind for a week now. I'm not sure why but it has been a true craving. I don't currently know of a restaurant that serves really good nachos (suggestions are welcome!) so I had the idea to make my own. You have probably done this many times before but it was a new idea to me. I put some ingredients on my shopping list and hurried out to the store.

Here's the result. I used medium sharp cheddar cheese and nuked it onto the tortilla chips in the microwave, then piled on chopped onions and green onions, blops of bottled salsa (Newman's Own is good - chunky and a little spicy), a scatter of black beans, and halved cherry tomatoes. In subsequent iterations, I have found it best to load up all the ingredients and put the cheese slices on top before microwaving, as the cheese helps to stick the other things to the chips. Life is a learning experience, is it not?

Such a beautifully colorful plate didn't last long. My Fairy Godson was up from LA for the weekend and My Beloved came up hungry from his home office, so the three of us polished this off in record time. The next day, we made another plateful, adding avocado chunks that time, and drops of Cholula when the salsa wasn't quite spicy enough.

Nachos. What started as a craving could easily become an obsession.

5 Comments:

Blogger Chilebrown said...

Everybody loves Nacho's. With tomato's in season home made salsa is a must. Also Velveeta is traditional. Chips & Salsa at La Estrellitas is my favorite.

Thursday, August 23, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Chilebrown, I can't face Velveeta but I agree that homemade salsa would be better.

Thursday, August 23, 2012  
Blogger Kailyn said...

Great. Now I have nachos on the mind which means that I will need to head to Los Pericos soon. But never ever go to Guadalajara's and order the nachos. They use that canned nacho cheese sauce there. Both places are in San Leandro, by the way. Everything else is great at Guadalajara's and they have the plus of being located near the Ghirardelli factory.

Thursday, August 23, 2012  
Blogger Greg said...

Those are nacho average dish!;) We used to sell nachos made from a number 10 can o nacho cheese at the kids snack bar.Mmmm good!

Thursday, August 23, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kailyn, thanks for the tips. I will follow your suggestions next time I'm over those ways.

Greg, I'm a nacho convert. LOVE them.

Thursday, August 23, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home