Saturday, September 22, 2012

Chunky Chicken Chili

I'm very fond of chili but My Beloved is only lukewarm on the subject. He thinks of chili as a plain old bowl of beans and, as you must know by now if you read this blog, he likes his meat. So, how to satisfy my craving for chili while satisfying his meat tooth?

The answer is this chili, which I am calling Chunky Chicken Chili just for the alliterative fun. I had some leftover zucchini cooked in tomato sauce with onions and garlic, so I used that as a base for making chili. I added more onion and garlic sautéed in olive oil to a large pot, then added a can of black beans, tomato sauce, a fresh tomato cut into chunks, chili powder and a dash of hot sauce to liven things up. All measurements were approximate - to taste, as they say.

That all simmered together for an hour or so to meld the flavors. At the end of the cooking time, I chunked a large chicken breast and added that to the chili to simmer just until it was done. Cheese might have made a nice topping, but I didn't think of it at the time. Served in wide bowls with a couple of wedges of my embellished corn bread on the side, it was hearty enough for my carnivore and tasty enough us both.


4 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Chili and cornbread - great combo. Clever lady to add meat to please DH. Personally I love all kinds of chili but have been experimenting with Indian spices. I know that it's not authentic but sure tastes good. I serve mine with a sour flatbread when I have company. It must be good because I never have leftovers.

Saturday, September 22, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Sounds like a killer combo! You artists are so creative - in your work and in your cooking!

Sunday, September 23, 2012  
Blogger Greg said...

Whoa! How about chicken-chicken some beans chili.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, I guess it's a guy thing. The more meat the better! :-)

Tuesday, September 25, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home