Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving Experiment, Part Two

Because I wasn't hosting Thanksgiving dinner this year, I had some time to play around with new side dishes, looking for the next classic in my repertoire. This colorful melange of winter root veggies seemed particularly appealing when Tara posted about it just prior to the big day.

Tara's blog, Tea and Cookies, is one of those that I visit as much for the photography and the writing as for the recipes. Tara is mostly a vegetarian and if you read my blog frequently you'll know that I'm anything but. However, Tara writes so beautifully that she tempts me to try all kinds of veggie delights. Look at this, for example - spectacular!

This dish does require a bit of chopping of root vegetables but, once you get going, you're on a roll. The roasted veggies are mellow, almost sweet, and as colorful as a plate full of gemstones. I used thyme rather than rosemary just because my thyme plant is going strong and I had no rosemary in the house and even my mother couldn't force me to eat rutabaga, but I'm sure it would be equally good just the way Tara envisioned it.

While we are enjoying it as a side dish (it made a huge pan of veggies, so we are slowly eating our way through it), I'm thinking it would make a great substrate for other foods. For example, I think it would be dynamite with a poached egg on top, a jewel-toned vegetarian hash. Can't you just imagine the orange yolk of a fresh egg adding its color to the brilliance of this tumble of red, orange, yellow and cream?

Thanks to daughter Katie and her Main Man for hosting and giving me time to experiment for next Thanksgiving's hit parade.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

It's glorious!
Winter. Bring it on.

Monday, November 29, 2010  
Blogger Pink Granite said...

Thanks for the inspiration and the links!
;o)
- Lee

Monday, November 29, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

you had me right up until you mentioned that yolk zoomie ;)

Monday, November 29, 2010  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I make things like that as a way to warm up my apartment (only one tiny heater in the front room) and bathe the whole place with glorious smells. I use different kinds of herbs but in the last batch - when included both rutabagas and sweet potatoes - I sprinkled the whole with kosher salt, chili flakes and mixed herbs. THEN, I basted them with olive oil and orange juice. Oh yummy. I could have eaten them for desert!

Monday, November 29, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, here it comes, ready or not!

Pink Granite, welcome and you're welcome! Good to see you here.

Ms Mouse, I knew the yolk would not find favor with you. Also, beware, because in a few days there might be a photo with some egg blood in it. I apologize in advance.

Nancy, the OJ and chili flakes sound like cool ideas to jazz up the veggies - hot and sweet at the same time.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home