Sunday, July 19, 2009

My All-Time Summer Favorite Sammy

And while we're talking ripe tomatoes, don't forget this one. I know, I know, you've seen it before, but it's worth another mention at this time of year.

Nubby, crunchy whole wheat toast (I used to use whole wheat English muffins but they've changed the recipe and the darned things are now sweet! What were they thinking? Crazy! Anyway, now I use wheatberry bread). Top with a scrape of mayo, then a layer of ripe, perfect tomatoes, then a layer of ripe avocado, followed by a generous squeeze of fresh lemon juice and a nice grinding of fresh black pepper.

I recommend a knife and fork as those avocado slices are slippery little devils. Plus, it makes one feel so civilized to eat a sandwich with utensils, even in high summer when fingers are acceptable.

The only thing on the planet, and possibly in the universe, that beats this is a BLT made with similarly ripe and ready tomatoes.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

I've always liked open face sandwiches.These look like a killer lunch to me.

Sunday, July 19, 2009  
Blogger Denise | Chez Danisse said...

nice. simple. lovely.

Sunday, July 19, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I'm seriously considering making these with toasted gluten-free waffles from the Who-Fo freezer case. Why not?
(tummy growl)

Sunday, July 19, 2009  
Blogger Anna Haight said...

why not indeed! these look heavenly!

Sunday, July 19, 2009  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Perfect, just perfect.

Monday, July 20, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, Denise, Cookiecrumb, Anna and Morgan - Happy Summer!

Monday, July 20, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home