Saturday, January 24, 2009

Rooting for Winter

Okay, I promised to try new things in this new year, so here's the first one I bought with my new resolution, celery root or celeriac.

First, I made the semi-successful salad I posted about yesterday. Now, I wanted to try roasting it since all roast veggies seem to be wunderbar and Morgan commented a few days back that celery root makes a nice mash, too, so I used one quarter to roast with our boneless leg of lamb and kept the other quarter out to boil for a mash.

Both were really delicious! The mash doesn't get as smooth as mashed potatoes, which I really rather liked; it keeps a bit of its integrity so the "mouth feel" is bumpy and interesting while the flavor is mild and a little sweet. I mashed it simply with a little butter, some half and half, and s&p - another time, I might add some broccoli to the mash for a little extra flavor.

The roast celery root was even better, I think partly because it was so easy. I just cut up small wedges of the celeriac and roasted them along with some Brussels sprouts and fingerling potatoes, lightly coated with olive oil, right in the same pan as the roast. They turned an appealing shade of golden brown on the edges and were even sweeter as the oven concentrated the flavor.

If you haven't ever tried celery root, you might enjoy adding it to your repertoire, too. It's pretty mild and non-threatening; I'm thinking it would make a really interesting soup, too.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Celeriac - it's what's for dinner. I love it in a salad but, like you, I cut back on the heavy ingredients and add more lemon because I like the zing. This recipe (from Epicurious) is one of my favorite ways to fix it:
Creamy Celery-Root and Haricort Vert Salad Gourmet | March 2008

Andrea Albin

Thin green beans add ribbons of color as well as bite to a celeriac rémoulade.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
Active Time: 20 min
Total Time: 25 min
ingredients
1/2 cup mayonnaise ( I use a combo of 1/4 light mayo and 1/4 light sour cream)
2 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 pound celery root (celeriac), peeled and quartered
1/2 pound haricots verts or other thin green beans, trimmed and halved crosswise
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley, divided


Stir together mayonnaise, lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper in a large bowl.

Cut celery root with slicer into 1/8-inch-thick matchsticks and add to mayonnaise dressing.

Cook beans in boiling salted water (1 tablespoon salt for 2 quarts water), uncovered, until just tender, about 4 minutes. Drain, then rinse under cold water to stop cooking. Drain well and pat dry.

Toss beans and 1 tablespoon parsley with celery root. Serve sprinkled with remaining tablespoon parsley.


Cook beans in boiling salted water (1 tablespoon salt for 2 quarts water), uncovered, until just tender, about 4 minutes. Drain, then rinse under cold water to stop cooking. Drain well and pat dry.

Toss beans and 1 tablespoon parsley with celery root. Serve sprinkled with remaining tablespoon parsley.

Saturday, January 24, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, I like the sound of that - and the colors would be nice together, too. Thanks!

Saturday, January 24, 2009  
Blogger kudzu said...

Celery root vinaigrette (in matchsticks) was one of the winter mainstays in a favorite (cheap) French restaurant in NYC, back in the day. That and Belgian endive. It always had a fresh crispness and I love its unique flavor that is like celery but quite other.

Saturday, January 24, 2009  
Blogger Michelle said...

Mmm...I don't think I have tried celeriac yet, but I do love roasted veggies, especially anything alongside Brussels sprouts! But that lamb looks almost as tasty! I hope you are doing great, dear Zoomie. I've been missing you and your blog posts since I've been in my own little world over here!

Saturday, January 24, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kudzu, I like the vinaigrette idea - I might try that next time I buy a celery root. They are so large that each one makes about three meals for us, so three different combos!

Michelle, we are doing well, thanks - a little sadder and slower these days but recovering our spirits. I've missed your frequent posts, too, but I know you're busy. No pressure!

Sunday, January 25, 2009  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

And it's an absolute 'must' in wild boar stew...
I'll post the recipe ;-))

Sunday, February 01, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home