Thursday, January 10, 2008

Kitchen Sink Sandwich

The last few bites of my brother's gargantuan sandwich at the Dry Creek General Store in the Alexander Valley.

We had been admiring the gardens, basking in the spectacular views and tasting the delicious wines all morning at the splendid Ferrari-Carano Winery in Healdsburg when my brother Jay and his lovely wife Ann were visiting last week. Being knowledgeable and enthusiastic wine drinkers, they managed to direct us newbies to some pretty spectacular tastings.

We were all feeling the effects of the tastings so decided we should stop for lunch. We asked at the winery and they recommended the Dry Creek General Store so we decided to give it a try.

The Dry Creek General Store is probably what the Oakville Grocery in the Napa Valley used to be before Napa became so popular. There's a pretty seamy bar, complete with lighted beer signs and bosomy posters, at one end, thankfully in a different room from the sandwich/gift shop, with rustic, family-style tables in between. There are the inevitable foodie items and some fun books for sale but the main attraction is the deli-style sandwiches they make at the opposite end from the barroom.

I ate every bite of my smoked salmon and curried egg salad sandwich, My Beloved devoured his panini sandwich, but Jay's submarine sandwich containing several meats, more than one cheese and assorted peppers and fresh lettuce was the clear standout. Load everything but the kitchen sink between the top and bottom of a baguette and you've got a sandwich fit for a connoisseur!

2 Comments:

Blogger Katie Zeller said...

Years ago my b-i-l asked me to make him a sandwich. When I asked what kind he said 'everything'. (I was a teeanager at the time) So I gave him 'everthing': peanut butter, jam, mustard, mayo, ketchup, pickles, cheese, bologna, olives, tuna, egg...everything I could find that had ever been on bread. He ate it. And he asked for another one. THAT was the kitchen sink!

Friday, January 11, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

KatieZ, man, that must have been quite the Dagwood sandwich! What fun!

Friday, January 11, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home