Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Fred Flintstone's Dinner

Lamb shanks always make me think of something a caveman would eat - a big old drumstick of a meat with the bone sticking out of the end.

In the shock of returning from Hawaii, where their idea of cold weather is when the mercury dips below 78 degrees, I've been shivering, adding layers of clothing and thinking about hearty meals.

Braised lamb shanks certainly fall in that category! I caramelized onions and shallots in a little olive oil, then removed them from the pan while I browned the two shanks with a little more oil in the same pan. Then, I added back the onion mixture, filled the skillet halfway with beef stock and added some tomato paste to mellow the flavors, dropped in two bay leaves, some dried rosemary and a generous pinch of herbes de Provence before covering the pan and letting the whole thing simmer for about two hours on the top of the stove.

Served with some steamed broccoli and Acme sourdough baguette or mashed potatoes, it makes a perfect caveman meal for a chilly winter's evening. A warm sweater helps, too.


2 Comments:

Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Lamb shanks are one of my top 5 foods - I can't wait for the weather to cool down so I can fill the house with that long & slow cooking lamb shank smell.

Friday, January 11, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

DMM, so funny to hear you talking about waiting for the weather to cool down while we are eager for it to warm up! I love this food blogging thing - opens my horizons!

Friday, January 11, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home