Monday, December 31, 2007

Mahimahi Soba Salad Lunch at HAA

In my first job after college I worked as a general dogsbody at the Honolulu Academy of Arts. It was one of the best jobs I have ever held, both because I got to inventory every single piece in the collection from gorgeous Korean ceramics to gold pieces thousands of years old to modern paintings and European decorative arts, and because I met wonderful people there who are still friends today, forty years later. One of those lovely people invited us to join her for lunch at the Academy Cafe while we were in Hawaii for Christmas. She's a wonderful lady who, in her 80s, still plays tennis three days a week and still doesn't need glasses.

This is the meal I chose.

Topping the cool, crisp greens and cubed cucumber dressed with a light vinaigrette were cold soba noodles and two triangular pieces of sauteed mahimahi fresh out of the ocean. Mellow carrot strips and tiny, sharp sprouts added zing to the salad as well as visual interest.

We reminisced about our days at the Academy (she worked there for more than 50 years, I a paltry four) and enjoyed the breezy almost-outdoor ambiance of the cafe while we enjoyed our leisurely and carefully prepared lunch. If you are going to Honolulu, don't miss the beautiful museum and its very special cafe!

6 Comments:

Blogger Dagny said...

Have I mentioned how much I love mahi mahi? I'm going to the kitchen now before things get really ugly.

Monday, December 31, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Dagny, you always make me laugh.

Tuesday, January 01, 2008  
Blogger peter said...

I'm so jealous that you're in HI. I haven't been in 5 years.

Wednesday, January 02, 2008  
Blogger Buzz Baylis said...

Peter,

Time to explore the airline options!
January thru April there are some $150 per leg deals to be had from CA.

MB

Thursday, January 03, 2008  
Blogger peter said...

I don't live in CA. Hint: it's 4 degrees here right now.

Thursday, January 03, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Peter, eek! 4 degrees! Is that Farenheit or Celsius? You definitely need a Hawaii vacation, either way!

Saturday, January 05, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home