Friday, December 14, 2007

The Finished Product

My Beloved is not a big Brussels sprout fan. I love them in just about any preparation and I am eternally optimistic that one day I will discover a recipe for Brussels sprouts that will win him over to my side of the debate. Bless his heart, he has manfully downed several servings of the cute little cabbages in our years together, trying to please me, but they just never quite resonated with him.

Here's the finished plate with the chicken and veggies layered over the Garlic Bacon Swiss chard I described yesterday. The other notable item on the plate are the very dark green Brussels sprouts, which I tried roasting along with the chicken.

I rolled them in a little olive oil and put them with the shallots and fingerling potatoes and basted with the pan juices once or twice during the hour the chicken was cooking. They turned out really delicious, the oven softening not only their texture but also their bite. These were mellow sprouts, soft, creamy and a little browned where they met the roasting pan. What happened to their flavor is analogous to what happens to the shallot when it's roasted, bringing out the sweet mellowness.

If you've never liked Brussels sprouts, try them this way - I'm optimistic that you will be pleasantly surprised. As for MB, he grudgingly admitted that these were the best so far but I don't think he's completely convinced yet.

7 Comments:

Blogger Dagny said...

I love grown up cabbage but never have been a fan of Brussel sprouts, or garbage balls as a friend used to call them. And yes, she actually liked them. Perhaps I will give them another try.

Thursday, December 13, 2007  
Blogger Peter M said...

Pam,

bacon and brussel sprouts will conquer all doubters!b

Friday, December 14, 2007  
Blogger peter said...

Duck fat. Caramelize them in duck fat. Smoked duck fat if you have any. Duck fat.

Friday, December 14, 2007  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I took your advice and posted two cornbread recipes on my blog (with due credit to you for inspiration). Here's a bit of shameless self promotion:

http://cheznamastenancy.blogspot.com/

However, while I respect your cooking adventures with Brussel sprouts, even bacon can't conquer those evil green balls (IMHO). But, cabbage or other greens cooked with a bit of bacon, bacon fat, green peppers, onions, hot chilis and a bit (or more) of Paul Prudhomme's seasoning - Now that's cooking.

Friday, December 14, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Dagny, "garbage balls" - I love it!

Peter M, ooooooh, interesting idea for convincing MB!

Peter, OMG, Duck fat! You are truly decadent, you know!

NamasteNancy, you and MB and Dagny are all cut from the same cloth - evil green balls indeed!

Friday, December 14, 2007  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Green ballies I called them growing up, and I still do :) Love em.

Friday, December 14, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

DMM, I like the "green ballies" moniker, too. I'm learning so much about people's opinions of these little green veggies!

Friday, December 14, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home