Monday, December 10, 2007

Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue

When I got home from work one evening last week, I found that My Beloved had been to our little neighborhood market to procure a nice wedge of Danish Castello Blue and an assortment of Carr's Water Biscuits for our pre-dinner nibbles. Most blue cheeses are too strong for hors d'oeuvres but this one was mild and very rich.

He also brought home some ground beef that I decided simply to prepare as hamburgers, rare and juicy the way he likes them. As I flipped the burgers, I was inspired by the remaining Castello Blue to try melting a slice of it over the beef to make a different sort of cheeseburger.

Unlike the more traditional cheddar, this cheese melted almost instantly revealing it's triple cream nature as it slid like butter across the top of the burger. The taste was intensely savory and rich, earning lots of "Mmmm-mmm-mmms" from MB.

Oh, yeah.

8 Comments:

Blogger Dagny said...

Blue cheese is wonderful on a burger. Triple Rock used to do a wonderful one but apparently now it's no longer on the menu.

Monday, December 10, 2007  
Blogger Buzz Baylis said...

I might slip into the market for another wedge this evening!(vbg)


MB

Monday, December 10, 2007  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I am trying not to drool all over my keyboard. This sounds delicious but I am sure my doctor would not approve. Alas!

Monday, December 10, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Dagny, another place to try - where is Triple Rock?

BuzzB, oh, you sweet thing!

NamasteNancy, our docs don't like it, either, but I figure life is to be enjoyed. :-)

Tuesday, December 11, 2007  
Blogger Cakespy said...

This was comforting just to look at, but was probably even more fun to eat. :-)

Tuesday, December 11, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cakespy, welcome!

Tuesday, December 11, 2007  
Blogger Dagny said...

Triple Rock is on Shattuck between Hearst and Berkeley Way. It's a brewpub so you get wonderful beers with your grub.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Dagny, you always know the great places! Thanks!

Wednesday, December 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home