Saturday, December 1, 2007

Thanksgiving spuds

My friend Wenirs and I have a long history; not only have she and I been friends all our lives, our parents were great pals as well. Our families visited frequently, they coming to us when we lived somewhere interesting and we spending summers with them in Michigan when the Navy parked us in less glamorous places. When I moved as a young bride to Western New York, happily, that was just a six-hour drive across friendly Ontario to get to Wenirs' house.

She's my rock when I need one and we laugh at the same goofy things;
I'm her children's Fairy Godmother.

We have shared many Thanksgivings starting even before the children, who are now young adults, came along. Each year I'd drive west or she'd drive east on Thanksgiving day when the traffic was lighter, so our tradition has always been to eat our Thanksgiving dinner the next day, feeling as we do that Thanksgiving is not a specific date in late November but rather the time when one's favorite people can gather.

Our visits have been less frequent since I moved to California so, when her children and I hatched a plan to surprise her and her delightful husband at Thanksgiving, I knew it would be a joyous surprise. My Fairy Godson flew in from LA, My Beloved and I landed soon after from SF, and My Fairy Goddaughter swooped by to pick us all up and deliver us. The surprise was total - we even got tears as well as hugs and "I can't believe its."

This year, she cooked the bird on Sunday and I made the mashed potatoes. Simple is best with family dinners, so all I did was boil the red potato halves until tender and, leaving the skins on, mashed them with lashings of butter, half and half and pepper. We cooked more potatoes than we really should have eaten and still I had to call a halt to photograph the last spoonful before it disappeared.

My only quandary now is how to top the Surprise Thanksgiving - and whether or not to make more of these delicious spuds for dinner again this evening!.

5 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

You must make more potatoes. It's chilly and you need those potatoes to fight off the cold weather. Just think of it as a health food. Or one of the essential food groups that has somehow been overlooked.
Potatoes - yummy!

Saturday, December 01, 2007  
Blogger Moonbear said...

Your potato recipe reminds me of the Redskin Mashers I once ate at the Food Dance Cafe in Kalamazoo. This was probably 20 years ago,and I'm still talking about it.
A grand surprise for your people at Thanksgiving! No wonder you are the luckiest person alive: you create that. Please give instructions.

Sunday, December 02, 2007  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

May I have these potatoes with the Pork Medallions, please? I can't decide which looks better so both will work!

Sunday, December 02, 2007  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Actually, now that I think about it I think that the best solution would be for YOU to come and cook for me. That way, we would have a really unbiased opinion on the potatoes. Oh, and the food in the previous post; you can cook that as well. I'll do the dishes (aren't I generous?).

Sunday, December 02, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

NamasteNancy, this morning's spuds were fingerlings roasted with fresh rosemary from the garden - also delish!

Moonbear, love the name of Redskin Mashers! I'm gonna steal that!

KatieZ, wow, yes that would be a great pairing, wouldn't it?

NamasteNancy, I had the best of both worlds, loved the food _and_ someone else did the cooking and the dishes! :-)

Sunday, December 02, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home