Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Dutch Courage

I've always been somewhat cowardly when it came to making classic sauces - even Julia Child couldn't seem to simplify them enough for me. My friend Wendy and I have laughed as we spoiled many a batch of Bearnaise sauce and, although I adore Hollandaise, I just couldn't seem to get it right.

Enter my mother's recipe for Blender Hollandaise. Yes, it's craven. No, it's not classic. Yes, it is delicious.

I actually prefer this sauce to the traditional Hollandaise as the lemon flavor is brighter in this recipe. And, it takes about 30 seconds to make, and never fails. Try it the next time you make Eggs Benedict, or fresh asparagus or broccoli, or that chicken-breast-with-ham-and-broccoli dish that every hostess from my era relied upon for dinner parties.

Some people worry about the raw egg; all I can say is that if you use uncracked, fresh eggs and serve it right away, you should have no trouble. If you are making it ahead, be sure to refrigerate it and warm it in a warm water bath before serving, stirring as it warms.

2 egg yolks
1 Tbs hot water
1 stick butter, melted (1/4 lb) (you can also use softened butter sliced into pats, but make sure it's really soft)
1 Tbs fresh squeeze lemon juice
white pepper to taste
nutmeg to taste (I omit)

Rinse the blender container with hot water and set in place on the motor (note: this does not work with a food processor). Add egg yolks, hot water, lemon juice and seasonings, put the lid in place, and whirl at high speed for 3 seconds. Remove the top just enough to add the butter (it's splashy), pouring very slowly with the blender running. As soon as the butter (not the milky residue) is added, it is ready to serve.

I also have a wonderful quick Bearnaise sauce to share one of these days. They give me courage when making sauces.

5 Comments:

Blogger Katie Zeller said...

Gorgeous sauce!
I've eaten far too many handmade mayonnaises sitting in the hot sun in Spain (me sitting, not the mayo)to be worried about my own...
And 30 seconds - Alright!

Wednesday, November 21, 2007  
Blogger Dagny said...

Lovely sauce. Now please tell my mom that raw eggs will not always kill you. Of course, I will never regain all those years lost of having the privilege of liking the cake batter bowl...

Wednesday, November 21, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

KatieZ, glad you're not worried - neither am I!

Dagny's Mom, raw egg will not always kill you!

Friday, November 23, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I worked as a waiter in a French-owned bistro in WDC, I was addicted to their hollandaise (as was everyone, they were famous for it) and got the recipe from the kitchen. I've since lost the details because I've been vegan for 15 years now, but I do remember falling over when they told me the trick was equal egg yolks to butter ratio. Ha ha...I believe there was also a smidge of dijon in there too.

Sunday, November 25, 2007  
Blogger Peter M said...

Zoomie, I've bookmarked this...I hate whisking but I love Hollandaise Sauce.

Monday, December 03, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home