Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Hallowe'en Carrots

I seem to be unable to resist vegetables in novelty colors. These weird characters in ghostly white, pumpkin orange and ghoulish black are carrots. The label assured me that they are organic so one assumes the blackish purple one was not dyed. As I sliced it (with my newly sharpened wonderful knife!), however, the purple pigment transferred itself to my fingers and my cutting board, so I'm not completely convinced.

Butter steamed, they were milder in carrot flavor than the plain orange ones would have been. Kinda meh. I don't think I'd buy them again, except possibly at Hallowe'en next year for a themed dinner to be eaten in snatches between distributing corn sweetener in various forms to young children dressed in outlandish costumes.

5 Comments:

Blogger peter said...

I plant heirloom carrots in 4 or 5 colors, and they're really sweet when they're young; yours might be late enough in the season that they've gotten a bit tough. I blanch or steam them a bit, then rub off the outer skins and toss them in oil or butter, lemon, salt and pepper. Awesome. Try again in late spring.

Monday, November 12, 2007  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I mix heirloom carrots in with a squash saute or other root vegetables; I like the medley seasoned with a spash of lemon, some chives and a pat of butter or olive oil. And sea salt.

Monday, November 12, 2007  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

I’m a member of and I’ve always been tempted by the heirloom carrots (and all those other heirloom veggies), perhaps next sprint I’ll splash out!

Tuesday, November 13, 2007  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

that's supposed to be "diggers seeds" and a link in case you wanted to take a peek ;)

Tuesday, November 13, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Peter, okay, I'll give 'em another try come spring and I'll use your embellishments.

Namastenancy, you and Peter have similar ideas for jazzing up my lackluster carrots. I'll try that, too, before giving up and returning to good old orange carrots.

DMM, interesting website - thank you! and thank heavens for people like him who want to save the old varieties!

Tuesday, November 13, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home