Monday, November 5, 2007

My Sister Taught Me to Core Apples

I was making a pear and apple croustade to use the beautiful little Golden Delicious apples Cookiecrumb and Cranky brought, my lone leftover Macintosh and two blushing Comice pears that needed eating. As I was paring and coring the apples, I remembered that my sister taught me this trick.

I had been coring apples by cutting the apple in quarters and then carefully excising the core for years when I visited my sister's house and noticed her preparing apples for a Waldorf salad. She just sliced the four sides off, a procedure that look much less time, concentration and finesse than my method, leaving the distinctive square core behind. The best thing about being the younger sister is that you can learn from the older one - I have cored apples her way ever since.

My sister is in my thoughts a great deal today; last week we discovered that she needs a rather tricky surgery.

The neurosurgeons are confident, but she's not their sister - my brothers and I are worried.
The surgery is today. Think positive thoughts. Send positive energy to North Carolina, please.

10 Comments:

Blogger Dagny said...

Your sister has to be cool because I core apples the same way. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Monday, November 05, 2007  
Blogger Buzz Baylis said...

Zoomie,

My thoughts are on their way to NC.

MB

Monday, November 05, 2007  
Blogger meathenge said...

Hay,

I'm usually mumfs if not years behind everyone else. Surely everyone here watches PBS Saturday mornings for the real cooking shows (yes, I'm taking a jab). And they've started showing some of Pepin's old series, La Technique (cain't remember). He's far younger and shows all the fussy French way of preparing food correctly. This last weekend he did apples, coring! Did you check out the fricken swan he made from an apple?

Biggles

Monday, November 05, 2007  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I'm sending light and healing thoughts toward NC. A sister who cores apples in such a cool way - and who has another sister with such a neat blog - is the kind of person that the world needs more of. So, surgery go well, problems be gone, and apple pie be well baked.

Monday, November 05, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Dagny, thanks for the kind thoughts. Good news, she's out of surgery and recovering well.

BuzzB, apparently your thoughts worked!

Rev, I missed it -darn it! I love Pepin and the way he uses even the left over apple cores to decorate things! Waste not, want not, and he's charming to boot. One of my heros is M. Jacques!

Namastenancy, your words seem to have worked. The news is good from NC!

Monday, November 05, 2007  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Sending!
Special delivery.
Keep us updated.
(And. Cool on the apple coring. Sigh. Life.)
Good wishes.

Monday, November 05, 2007  
Blogger Dagny said...

Biggles, I haven't watched PBS on Saturday on years but obviously Jacques infected my mind. A swan from an apple? Get out of here.

Zoomie, glad to hear that all is well with your sister.

Monday, November 05, 2007  
Blogger SchnauzerMama said...

I am glad that your sister is doing well. I hope she only cores GREEN apples, as the red ones are for the elephants!

Monday, November 05, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Schnauzermama, welcome! How come the red ones are for the elephants? Is this what you learned when you took your grandchildren to the zoo?

Tuesday, November 06, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, yes, huge relief. She's only two years older than me.

Tuesday, November 06, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home