Sunday, November 4, 2007

Apple Ani-se

A while ago, I posted about a Pear Croustade that my cousin J-Yah taught me to make - and it was delicious, even though I had trouble interpreting the recipe. So, when Cookiecrumb and Cranky brought me some lovely Golden Delicious apples, I decided to try the croustade again, this time with half and half apples and pears.

I did a little online research that showed me that, in fact, it's pretty common to combine the two in pies and tarts, so I was reassured that I wasn't straying too far from accepted dogma.

I did add about two teaspoons of fresh lemon zest to the recipe, rebel that I am.

Toward the end of the preparation, all of a sudden I remembered the anise seeds growing unnoticed in my own garden that CC had introduced me to, and I wondered what a twist they might add to the dish. I ran outside and clipped off a couple of the dry umbels, rubbed them lightly between my fingers to separate the seeds from the twigs, and sprinkled the anise seeds on top of the finished galette.

Truly inspirational taste - the little hint of anise with the lemon peel and the mellow fruits, My Beloved and I each had seconds and I'm already thinking it will be wonderful with my breakfast coffee!

4 Comments:

Blogger Dagny said...

Yummy. I like to combine apples and pears in a cobbler. The two go together quite well.

Sunday, November 04, 2007  
Blogger Buzz Baylis said...

By the by ... it was a treat for breakfast! (vbg)

MB

Sunday, November 04, 2007  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Why, it's simply beautiful!
I'm thrilled by your use of fennel with lemon. Got that on my list now.

Sunday, November 04, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Dagny, I should have asked you - you've already tried my "innovation!"

BuzzB, glad you enjoyed it!

Cookiecrumb, thank you - I felt pretty proud of it!

Sunday, November 04, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home