Monday, November 26, 2007

Beanie Weenie

So, what does one do for fun in Detroit on Thanksgiving weekend? The malls are a crush, as they are in California on "Black Friday," the day when all the stores make so much money from Christmas shoppers that their accounts actually go into the black, places to be avoided at all costs. The weather was a crisp 19 degrees F with a light covering of snow (I'm not complaining - it was actually a bonus! So beautiful!) so we headed indoors to the Henry Ford Museum.

The museum is an amazing, amusing and interesting eclectic collection of (mostly) Americana and history that we enjoyed. Henry Ford was best buddies with people like Thomas Alva Edison, the Wright Brothers and George Eastman, so he managed to put together some really interesting displays!

If you happen to be in the Detroit area reading this, we can all heartily recommend a lovely little temporary show that is currently on exhibit there, "Best of Friends: Buckminster Fuller and Isamu Noguchi," which chronicles the long friendship these two brilliant men shared and the ways in which each influenced the other's work. It's only there until January 15th, so get moving!

From the sublime to the ridiculous, we also enjoyed having our picture taken with the Wienermobile, which is on exhibit in the museum, too. It may not have the subtle sophistication of a Buckminster Fuller architectural design or an Isamu Noguchi sculpture, but it pointed the way to lunch in the Oscar Mayer hot dog concession where we were able to order from a menu that included, irresistibly for me, a Beanie Weenie.

This marvelous culinary invention combined a gooshy hot dog bun, a rather delicious tube steak, a generous slathering of baked beans and a healthy drizzle of melted American cheese, a true guilty pleasure. Was I to make this combo at home, I would improve on the original by using B&M Baked Beans (the best) and real cheddar cheese sauce but, when your feet are tired from enjoying a large museum and you've got your best friends in the world with you, a Beanie Weenie definitely hits the spot.

7 Comments:

Blogger Anna Haight said...

What a lovely Thanksgiving! I left my knives with Barbara last weekend.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007  
Blogger Dagny said...

Mmmm. That sounds so good. I haven't had beans and franks since I was a kid. I may need to rectify that soon. But I think I might use some of the fine selection available at Top Dog.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

Ahhh, the WienieMobile! I actually saw it on the road once.
Strangely, your Beanie Weinie sounds rather good. I haven't had a hot dog, proper or otherwise since we left the U.S.! And even then the only proper place to get one was once a year at the State Fair. I suppose baseball games would work...

Tuesday, November 27, 2007  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

What's that in MB's hand? Are you allowed to drink beer in the museum?
:D
Kidding.
Fun trip, eh?

Tuesday, November 27, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Wienermobile!, I'm so jealous!

Tuesday, November 27, 2007  
Blogger peter said...

Fuller is a longtime hero of mine. If you squint (and aren't hungry) you can make the weinermobile look kind of like a Dymaxion car.

If you ever find yourself in NYC, the Noguchi museum in L.I.C. is well worth a visit.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Anna, you'll be pleased with Barbara's service - my knives are such a pleasure to use now!

Dagny, I've gotta try Top Dog - you keep recommending them and I keep forgetting!

KatieZ, I guess there are some minor inconveniences to living in France, after all! :-) You're right, baseball games are usually the only time I have hot dogs now - they just seem to go together!

Cookiecrumb, it is a bottle of water - nothing as exciting as a beer!

Mrs. I, you, too, can view the Wienermobile if you head for Motown!

Peter, they actually have a whole Dymaxion house inside the Henry Ford! Thanks for the Noguchi Museum tip. Next time I'm in the Big Apple, I'll remember that. I hadn't been a huge Fuller fan until this show - really illustrated the elegance of his designs. Very cool!

Tuesday, November 27, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home