Sunday, December 2, 2007

Citrus Season

My mother must have had a deathly fear of scurvy, as she and Linus Pauling were great believers in Vitamin C. I think I had OJ every morning of my life from the moment my pediatrician okayed it 'til the time I left for college. For several years, we used the morning OJ to wash down the cod liver oil pill she also insisted upon and woe betide the child who kept that little round squishy gel capsule in the mouth too long, arguing against the need for it, because if you didn't swallow it quickly it melted, flooding the taste buds with fish oil. We tended to be persuasive (argumentative) children - you'd have been forgiven for thinking we were all going to be lawyers - but the Fish Oil Fear shut us up pretty quickly.

We also always got the traditional orange in our stockings on Christmas morning, one more opportunity for the Good Mother to slip in a little vitamin C and, as we grew old enough to drink alcohol, she introduced us all to Screwdrivers and Mimosas.

My early indoctrination seems to have stuck - I can't wait until the fruit appears, shiny and heavy for it's size, with most of the dimples filled out from the juicy goodness within. Oranges, tangerines, grapefruits, tangelos, not to mention my favorite lemons - I can't think of a better way to start a day, spark up a salad or complement a dinner.

No fear of scurvy in my current household, either, thanks to my early training and the juicy season of citrus!

6 Comments:

Blogger Peggasus said...

Since I started on cholesterol medication last February, I am banned from having grapefruit. (Some pesky thing about it not working or something if combined.)

Of course this makes me crave it all the more, as I would have it at for breakfast least four times a week in the winter previously. Bah.

Monday, December 03, 2007  
Blogger Dagny said...

Citrus fruits are indeed wonderful. I am trying to decide what to do with all the lemons I brought back from my dad's. And in the next month or so, he should have oranges coming out of his ears.

Monday, December 03, 2007  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Am I hearing a "hint-hint" from you?
Because they're coming along. Very soon.

Monday, December 03, 2007  
Blogger peter said...

Meanwhile I'm wearing out perfectly good boots trudging around trying to find sumac berries in the woods. (Uphill both ways, in a snowstorm.)

Monday, December 03, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Peggasus, thanks for the tip about the meds, which MB takes, too. I'll have to read up on his meds to make sure I'm not tanking his doc's orders by feeding him grapefruit!

Dagny, wow, homegrown and tree-ripened lemons - you lucky thing, you!

Cookiecrumb, I'm already finding them in the stores! I look for smooth, shiny and heavy - yumm!

Peter, they should be _everywhere_ around you, tall flame-shaped fuzzy clusters, dark red/maroon. Let me know if you find them!

Monday, December 03, 2007  
Blogger Barbara said...

Great post Zoomie. I think my mother gave us something similar to the cod liver oil.

Sunday, December 09, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home