Monday, December 3, 2007

Make Your Own Masterpiece

We had an amusing party this past weekend, a "Make Your Own Masterpiece" omelet party with My Beloved's younger daughter K and her squeeze A. Rather like the French where if you have a group of two people, there will be at least four political parties represented, we four have distinct food preferences and cooking styles.

Hence the idea of Make Your Own Masterpiece.

The choices on offer were, left to right, fresh dill, thyme and tarragon to snip, cubed Swiss cheese, blanched broccoli, sliced mushrooms, fresh King crab meat, chopped green onion, minced shallot, blanched asparagus, and blueberries. Each person had her/his own cutting board, freshly sharpened knife and omelet pan

A chose real eggs, but separated out the yolks for his scramble and went heavy on the veggies. K is on a specialized eating plan to accommodate some food allergies, so she avoided the cheese and butter but loved the fresh tarragon and anise seed with her asparagus and crab omelet. MB loves variety so he added a little of almost every option to his scramble, using EggBeaters to keep the cholesterol count low. I'm a confirmed French-style omelet maker, so mine used whole eggs (even added one of A's yolks for richness) mixed with a little water and was rich in butter, crab, asparagus and cheese with some tarragon and thyme for extra flavor.

They say that too many cooks spoil the broth but in this case it just made for some giggling in the kitchen and four satisfied chefs.

5 Comments:

Blogger Dagny said...

Hmmm. I made a list of the ingredients I would have wanted and then read on. Yours sounds the closest to mine but I would have probably thown in a bit of mushroom as well. But that's just because I love mushrooms almost as much as I love cheese. I haven't done a scramble in some time. I'm thinking I may have to do one next weekend.

Monday, December 03, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Dagny, I'm thinking that just about anything with king crab in it is heaven on earth!

Tuesday, December 04, 2007  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

I'll share your omelet, please. With some of Rosemary's Babies on the side!
What a great way to satisfy, um, diverse eaters!

Tuesday, December 04, 2007  
Blogger Dagny said...

I blame the love of king crab on those awful folks at Andronico's. They really must stop giving out the samples. *sigh* And now that I know that I don't have to buy the whole cluster? Double sigh.

Tuesday, December 04, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

KatieZ, I've found that cooking around preferences and allergies has actually gotten me to try things I might not otherwise have tried. I tend to stay with the tried and true, so it gets me out of my rut.

Dagny, yes, nefarious folks, those charming guys at Andronico's! They'll even sell you just one leg if that's all you need, plus they'll crack it for you, too!

Tuesday, December 04, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home