Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Bangers and Mash at the Pelican

On New Year's Day, when all the museums were closed, My Beloved and I took our guests to the Tennessee Valley to walk to the sea, a light hike of about 3 miles, on a bright and windy day. We all enjoyed the natural beauty and the chance to work off a holiday meal or two, but we were hungry again at the end so we drove over to Muir Beach to enjoy a British-style pub lunch at the Pelican Inn.

The Pelican offers a wide selection of wines and especially beers as well as such pub food as Ploughman's Lunch and English beef dip sandwiches.

I chose the Bangers and Mash, two mild, huge and hearty sausages served with spicy mustard, mashed potatoes and peas, a great restorative for a hungry hiker. The peas were perfectly green and bright, the mash delectably bumpy with lumps and skins left in just the way I like them, and the bangers were savory and juicy, given zing by the sharp mustard.

The Pelican Inn is always popular and busy so be sure to make a reservation if you go.

6 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Now this sounds like it's good enough to make it worth while to travel across the bridge. The last bangers I had in the UK were...well...let's be polite and say the radio of meat to filler was less than desirable and just leave it at that.

Monday, January 07, 2008  
Blogger peter said...

I love the Pelican. I used to go there every time I went to Muir beach, and when my cousin lived in Mill Valley he once let me throw his Ferrari around those gorgeous curvy roads (BEFORE having a pint, that is.)

Tuesday, January 08, 2008  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

How'd you get such a perfect ad-hoc photo? Fabulous.
I'm glad you enjoyed your meal there; I've only had me some pints there, except for a catered wedding dinner once (meh).

Tuesday, January 08, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

NamasteNancy, I can recommend it after that hike when one is good and _hungry!_ - the portions were more than generous!

Peter, wow, a Ferrari on those roads would really be a big temptation! I have enough trouble keeping my Bunwarmer under the speed limit!

Cookiecrumb, sometimes, the light is just right and this one was taken in their indoor-outdoor area where the light is very forgiving!

Tuesday, January 08, 2008  
Blogger julia said...

I could just eat a plate of this now now as I sit here trying to study and suffering from a severe attack of The Munchies!

I think I'd even be prepared to walk 5 miles to reach it too!

Saturday, January 12, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Mouse, it was really perfect after that long walk!

Saturday, January 12, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home