Monday, October 8, 2007

Fresh Touch

My Beloved has two daughters from whom, over the years, I have learned a great deal. Some things have been huge - like how important clear communication is and how fond one can become of people who are not one's own children. Other things have been relatively small and unimportant, but they have still enriched my life bit by bit.

Here's a good example: last week was MB's birthday and his daughter K and her squeeze A invited us over for a birthday dinner of grilled lamb, ratatouille and peach pie. Everything was delicious, right down to the cucumber slice in the water glass.

Perhaps this isn't an innovation for you but it was new to me. I've had lemon or lime slices in my water before, and even rose petals, but never the fresh, light scent of cucumber. K used Persian cucumbers, a new name to me, and I've stolen her idea, even using regular cucumbers with good success.

So, even though I didn't learn one of life's critically important lessons this time, I gleaned this little tip and was reminded of how significant it is to sit down to a lovely meal with a child who has grown into accomplished young hostess over the years I have been privileged to know her.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home