Thursday, August 23, 2007

The Peaches Are Coming!

When My Beloved and I got married eight years ago, my colleagues from Western New York sent us a gift certificate for something from a garden store to mark the start of our growing love. Isn't that sweet? We chose a peach tree (because MB is a peach!).

Unlike life with MB, life with the peach tree has not been untroubled.

It has suffered from Peach Leaf Curl; it's not planted in a very sunny place; because our lot is very sloped water and nutrients run away; and it has never borne much fruit. Every year, we have harvested about a dozen small peaches that were sweet when I left them on the tree long enough (I tend to get impatient with fruit) but were always diminutive and few.

Well, welcome to 2007!

Eight years seems to be the charm. This year, the tree is simply groaning with baseball sized fruit, some of the branches literally weighed down to the ground with ripening fuzzies. The peaches are simply beautiful, bright golden yellow with a rich blush of pink. You can see from the picture that they are still just slightly green so I figure it will be another week or so until I can clamber down the hillside to harvest our first bumper crop of peaches from our Wedding Tree.

8 Comments:

Blogger Dagny said...

Awww. How sweet.

Thursday, August 23, 2007  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Yay, yay, yay, yay!!
Can't wait! (Selfishly spoken... but I'll teach you my recipe for peach butter).
Eight years, already, you two? Blessings.

Thursday, August 23, 2007  
Blogger Vicki said...

You're so lucky! My peaches ripened all at once about a month ago, didn't have much taste, and were mush after 12 hours.

Thursday, August 23, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Dagny, yeah, well, blush, giggle...

Cookie, thanks for the blessings. We are lucky and we know it!

Vicki, maybe your peaches are like ours - it will take a few years for them to get really good?

Thursday, August 23, 2007  
Blogger Vicki said...

Zoomie -
I've only been in my house for 3 years, so I don't know how old the tree is, but its top branches rest on my roof.
They were good the first year, but then...meh.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Vicki, sounds like a big enough tree, for sure! You're pretty far south - maybe peaches don't like that much heat? Our weather is pretty cool here, even in summer...

Friday, August 31, 2007  
Blogger Vicki said...

Guess I'll just wait til next year and see what happens. At least my figs are consistently yummy!

Saturday, September 01, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

oooooh, Vicki, now I'm jealous! Which kind of figs do you have, the black mission figs or the greenies?

Tuesday, September 04, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home