Monday, August 13, 2007

Salsa Dancing

Years ago, when swordfish came in large, manly steaks obviously cut from some giant of the sea who had lived a full life, I used to enjoy this salsa on grilled swordfish in the summer. The crisp, crunchy, minty, sweet-and-tangy salsa was the perfect complement to the fish.

Then, sadly, the smaller and smaller steaks and news stories about the serious decline in swordfish populations put swordfish on my (very short) list of things I can't ethically eat.

So, my favorite salsa recipe went into the recipe file there to languish until I found that planking halibut is a great way to cook that rather bland fish and, Hallelujah!, that it tastes great with a little of my summer salsa over it to make the favors dance.

I don't usually give recipes since most of what I cook doesn't require one, but here's my favorite in case you want to try it - it's from epicurious.com, "Mint-Cucumber Salsa."

3/4 cup diced seeded peeled cucumber
6 Tbs. chopped red onion
3 Tbs. chopped fresh mint
1Tbs. white wine vinegar
1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1-1/2 teaspoons sugar

Combine cucumber, onion, mint, vinegar, 1-1/2 tsps oil and sugar in a medium bowl; toss to blend. Season with salt and pepper (Can be made two hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.)

Each time I make this, I do a little dance of pleasure.

2 Comments:

Blogger Deetsa said...

While I agree that this would be a lovely topping for halibut, I am a bit mystefied that you call halibut 'bland'. Granted that there are times when the cooking time can throw off its natural flavours to a disadvantage but I've never found halibut to be anything but meaty, well-flavoured fish. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that I get mine straight off the boat from the fishermen?

Monday, August 13, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nerissa, I'd agree about the meaty part but it's quieter fish than, for example, salmon. Maybe our Pacific halibut are different than your Atlantic? Ours are very mild.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home