Sunday, August 12, 2007

Dining Table

When I was growing up, my family was one of those who had dinner together each night around a formal dining table. One of us kids would set the table with Mom's heirloom silver and china while she cooked. Dad would carve and none of us would begin until all had been served.

No pizza on the couch in front of the television for us, even when there was something special on, and the family rule was that we didn't answer the telephone during dinner. Dinner was to be our uninterrupted family time, the sharing of our days' events and catching up with each other.

Of course, as youngsters we hated that. We'd complain loudly and futilely that we were missing special programs or calls from our latest heartthrobs.

It was only later in life when I began to understand and appreciate how wonderful it is to share food and stories with loved ones at the end of a busy day or to enjoy the company of friends around your table. And how much grace it gives to life when you have a beautiful table on which to enjoy the meal.

So, when our friends G and I were giving away this lovely table, My Beloved and I leaped at the chance to add this lovely piece to our lives. We will prepare and enjoy many a meal at this beautiful table and will think gratefully of them every time. And whenever they come to visit, they will be the guests of honor at a formal meal where I use my heirloom china and silver to signal how special they are. I may even refuse to answer the phone during dinner.

5 Comments:

Blogger Deetsa said...

Sounds like a wonderful plan! The frog and I SO ignore the phone during dinner. I sure wish I had a table as nice as this. I'm stuck with iffy rent-a-furniture that belongs to the teacherage apartment. But I do what I can.
Sounds like your dinner upbringing was spot on. Mine wasn't quite as classy but there were a whole lot of sit down meals en famille --no books, no tv, homemade meals. But my grandmother's were almost always like that

Monday, August 13, 2007  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I love your new table. How cool that it came with a little laptop! :D
Our family dinners were much like yours, though often in the kitchen instead of at a formal table. (And dad wasn't always there; he'd be flying off bombing commies or something!)

Monday, August 13, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nerissa, who's the frog? Glad you had many dinners en famille! The best kind!

Cookie, yes, sometimes Dad was gone fighting for Democracy As We Know It but Mom kept up the tradition anyway. One of the nicest things I can say about her is that I can't remember a single day when Dad left but I have vivid memories of the days when the ship came home. Her courage is why.

Monday, August 13, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad you're enjoying the table. It looks much better in your home than it ever did in ours :)

Wednesday, August 15, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

i, we are really thrilled - keep stroking it and marveling about it! The ISC loves it, too, lounges on the placemats like she owns the table, as perhaps she does!

Thursday, August 16, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home