Friday, August 10, 2007

Tube Steak

W.C. Fields and I share a couple of things, a healthy distrust of small children and a love of tube steak. When I go to the ballpark, for example, I go as much for the hot dogs as for the baseball.

Lunch in the Tenderloin (or am I in the Civic Center now?), as I have remarked before, is not usually a gourmet meal. On the other hand, if you get past the airline-style security guards in the California Supreme Court building on McAllister Street, there is a nice, usually quiet cafeteria on the second floor with good reading light and the clever name, Justice Served.

They offer, in addition to a pretty nice fresh salad bar and daily specials, a juicy hot dog complete with grilled bun and lavish (as you can see) condiments. They split the sausage and grill it like my Dad used to, pressing down firmly to make sure all sides have been seared.

With an icy Coke on the side it makes a satisfying lunch, and pretty fast, my Fair Little Chickadee.

9 Comments:

Blogger julia said...

ok, for the benefit of the foreigners, who or what is Tenderloin anyway?

Friday, August 10, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Mouse, it's a neighborhood in San Francisco, not a very glamorous one. It's rarely dangerous but it's gritty.

Friday, August 10, 2007  
Blogger Dagny said...

As soon as I think my teeth are up to it, I am heading to Top Dog. I have been dreaming of that for at least a couple of days now.

Friday, August 10, 2007  
Blogger meathenge said...

Tenderloin rarely dangerous? Uh, you're not there at dusk or after dark, are you? Man, the roving gangs are enough to send me for the hills. And the wraiths that melinger around the bart (subway) mouths can be lethal. Just standing in line at the taco bell at 3am can leave you with stories that will last a lifetime.

I used to have some pictures from 20 years ago being chased by an Asian gang only to be saved by some skinheads with chains on their bodies. Ahhh, good times.

Biggles

Friday, August 10, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Friday, August 10, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Dagny, I happened today to drive by Top Dog in Berkeley and thought, "Oh, I'll bet that's where Dagny was talking about!"

Rev, actually, I have been there after dark fairly frequently but have never felt unsafe. I have felt sad to see folks so down on their luck, but not threatened. On the other hand, I'm always home and tucked up into my bed after midnight so I guess I missed the Skinheads and most of the hookers :-)

Friday, August 10, 2007  
Blogger julia said...

Oh, and I imagined S.F to be full of gentle old hippies with flowers in their hair
40 years since Scott Mackenzie sang that song, can you believe that?

The only dangerous neighbourhood round here is a field full of hormonal bullocks

Saturday, August 11, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Mouse, we do have gentle old hippies with flowers in their hair (in fact, I may be one of those...!) too, but SF for all its beauty shares many of the same problems as most cities. Enjoy your bullocks. Simply amazing to think 40 years have passed since the hippie era...

Saturday, August 11, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Distrust of children, more like an intense dislike.

I was stuck in a dentists waiting room this morning for 45 minutes, heavily populated by small snot gobbling sprogs making lots of noise and throwing toys around.

I was rudely reminded of why I stayed single, little bastards !

Wednesday, August 29, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home