Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Strange Bedfellows

Okay, who woulda guessed that these two tastes would be great together?

My Beloved and I had picked up some of those little shaved carrots at Trader Joe's the other day (no, not as good as the true baby carrots from the farmer's market but they do make a healthy snack) and I managed to get a little of the Dijon mustard from our ham and cheese sandwiches onto the next carrot I crunched while constructing lunch.

A taste sensation! The sweet of the carrot with the pungent savory of the mustard was really interesting.

I've often wondered how established pairings first get tried - I think my mustardy carrots is a good illustration of what happens. Serendipity. I still wonder who found the courage to try the very first oyster but that, too, was probably a happy accident.

7 Comments:

Blogger Dagny said...

Mmmm. Yet another thing to put mustard on. Did I mention that mustard is one of my favorite condiments?

Tuesday, August 07, 2007  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Who knew? I could do that. (With farmers market carrots, and -- I think it's cute that you did the mea culpa caveat on your shaved carrots.)

Tuesday, August 07, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Dagny, I'm getting a strong condiment vibe from you (see how California I'm becoming?) :-)

Cookie, when one works with lawyers, one gets good at caveats!

Tuesday, August 07, 2007  
Blogger SteamyKitchen said...

I love mustardly carrots! with honey too!

Tuesday, August 07, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Steamy, wow, if you added honey it would intensify the difference between the sweet carrots and tangy mustard! Rock those taste buds!

Wednesday, August 08, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you're already in trader joes, next time try the carrots with the aioli mustard. the garlicky kick in that one is really good with the sweet carrots.

Friday, August 10, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Anon, thanks for the tip! I'll check it out!

Saturday, August 11, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home